GE side by side frig working but not cooling

dubess

Premium Member
Model Number
GSH22JFXABB
Brand
GE
Hi

My frig is running but not cooling. The fan in the freezer is working but room temp air coming out. The fan in the back is working. The compressor is running - feel a slight buzz when I touch it but it's not hot to the touch. Coils in the freezer side are clear but the frig has been out for over 24 hrs so that could be why (came home to water on the floor). Power's on, breaker ok, door was closed all the way. I left it running since last night and it's still warm inside.

I don't have a multimeter - will be going out today to get one.

Any help will be appreciated!

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
Sure sounds like either the compressor is not running even though you think it is or you are really low on refrigerant. Remove the cover from the evaporator in the freezer. Do you see any part of it with frost on it? Is any part of it cold to the touch or is it completely warm from top to bottom? Do you hear a clicking sound every few minutes which would be an indication the compressor is trying to start but cannot for some reason?

dubess

Premium Member
Sure sounds like either the compressor is not running even though you think it is or you are really low on refrigerant. Remove the cover from the evaporator in the freezer. Do you see any part of it with frost on it? Is any part of it cold to the touch or is it completely warm from top to bottom? Do you hear a clicking sound every few minutes which would be an indication the compressor is trying to start but cannot for some reason?
No frost on the evaporator (coils) and they are room temp feeling. No, I don't hear any clicking sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I add refrigerant?

dubess

Premium Member
No frost on the evaporator (coils) and they are room temp feeling. No, I don't hear any clicking sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I add refrigerant?

Ok I got my multimeter. when I put each one on the 2 stems that are the bottom of the triangle and get a reading of .3 ohms. Should be about 10 correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jack must of got tied up with service calls yesterday to reply back to you.

Are you 100% positive the compressor is running? When you put your hand on the top of it, you feel it vibrating?

If so, and its not cooling, then yes you could have a freon leak or your compressor is shot, meaning its running but not pumping the froen through the sealed system.

You can't add froen unless you find and fix the leak first, which can be very difficult without a leak detector.

Then to fix the leak you'd need a turbo torch, solder, a vacuum pump, and new filter drier. Unless you've done refrigerant work before, there is no way you can do this properly.

So, the best thing to do is go refrigerator shopping.

Jake