• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE side by side ice maker leaking

mpiercekc

Model Number
GSS25QGTA
Brand
GE
I have an ~8 year old GE side by side fridge, model GSS25QGTA, and recently I found that ice was building up underneath the ice maker, indicating some kind of leak. I shut the ice maker unit off overnight, and cleaned out the ice on and under the unit. When I turned the unit back on, it ran a cycle to first heat and release the ice in the ice maker mold. When the ice was released, I felt inside the ice maker mold and there was a little melted water in the bottom, and that's when I noticed a leak coming out of the area where the mold attaches to the driving mechanism. See attached picture, showing build up that occurred over one cycle. As the ice maker refilled water into the mold, the leak continued to build ice as it was dripping down to the shelf below the ice maker. The leak stopped around the time the water firmed up into ice, or maybe the leak had froze itself shut as ice built up - not sure what happened. It appears the leak continues each cycle, because a couple times now, water has built up all the way from the shelf up to the bottom of the ice maker, indicating that many cycles ran where the leak continued.

Looking for help diagnosing the problem, and determining whether it's something I could fix myself. Thanks!

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member