• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

GE Spacemaker JVM1630WB stop pressed still running

riverfour

Premium Member
We have a GE Spacemaker JVM1630WB manufactured in 2001. It started giving trouble several months back, and we had to stop using it.

First, we had to open/close the doors many times to really stop it, otherwise, even pressed the "Stop/Clear" button, it wouldn't stop. When door was open, the machine was still running without heating (light and fan on). We need to open/close several times to really shut down. Finally, even we tried many times to open/close door, it wouldn't shut itself down. So we gave up and stopped using it.

Today, I followed online instructions to detach the control panel assembly and tested the 2 door switches (N.O. Normally Open) and 1 door switch monitor (N.C. Normally Closed) with Ohmmeter. They are all OK. I also cleaned their terminals with sandpaper. Then I put the control panel assembly back and confirmed the switches are depressed when micorwave door is closed. I confirmed it by both listening the clicks and observed switch depressed with flashlight. After that, I tested microwave, it seemed that the door switches are working well. Everytime, I opened the door the machine shut down itself completedly. However, when I pressed "Stop/Clear" button, the machine still wouldn't shut itself down, and it is running with light and fan, but not heating. I have to open the door to shut itself.

I would conclude that the door switches are functioning well (please correct me if I am wrong, and give explanation). I suspect the control circuit is bad, which is costly. I might need to go for a new machine for a different brand.

Any suggestion is welcome before I totally give up on this GE unit.

Thank you very much,