• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Spacemaker WSM2700DTW Leak at top of washer tub

relaxl

Model Number
WSM2700TDW
Brand
GE
This is a GE Spacemaker washer/dryer not exactly sure how old as I am new owner and this was in the unit.
It has a "minor" leak - I took off the front cover to observe and it looks like the outer tub has a plastic piece that kind of snaps/fastens on - this is the piece that has the bleach dispenser. Appears that water is leaking only during the spin when the spray is enabled and dribbles out.
Probably easier to explain if look at the attached picture.
This top piece seems loose (can wiggle it) and feels like if the top frame weren't there, it would easily lift off the tub with a little bending of the locking tabs.
I'm wondering how to repair this - is it missing some gasket?
Not sure how would get this off as the machine is in a closet and not easy to get it out. ...
Anyone have some advice or idea for me?
Thanks!

Attachments

• washerleak.png
    washerleak.png
    479.3 KB · Views: 37
  • washerleak2.png
    washerleak2.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 38

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It looks like it was leaking there before. The red stuff is 3M 800 sealant which is often used for leaks on washers. If the cover is loose, it or its gasket may be worn and need to be replaced.

There is a rubber gasket between the tub cover and the tub. Although GE doesn't list it in their parts manual, the following is the Frigidaire version. (Frigidaire actually built that model washer for GE.)

LINK > Frigidaire Tub Cover Seal (with video)

*EDIT* I did find a part number for the tub seal from GE but it doesn't look to be in stock at the moment.

LINK > GE Washer Tub Cover Seal (with video)

You could try replacing just that seal, replace the whole tub cover (which comes with the seal), or just gloop it up with more 800 sealant. The last should be a last resort unless the machine is in bad general shape and not worth putting much time or money into it.

LINK > GE Tub Cover Asm.

LINK > Frigidaire version Tub Cover Asm.

LINK > 3M 800 Red Adhesive (purchase locally)

Dan O.

Last edited:

relaxl

Thank you very much for the reply and useful info!
Will think about this - the prior owner did very poor job of maintaining things in this place - and I don't know how old this machine is - could it be 15-20 years old?