• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE SXS Refrigerator GSE25GSHBCSS - Ice in ice bin freezing solid and leaking water during defrost cycle

G

Model Number
GSE25GSHBCSS
Brand
GE
Here are a couple of issues with my freezer compartment:

1. Ice in the ice bin freezes and becomes frozen solid.

2. When the defrost cycle runs, ice melts and the water leaks out into the freezer on the food.

Water from the ice bin drips and leaks down through the water dispenser into the drip tray. Most of the time we've caught it in time.

After defrost cycle finishes, the melted ice (Water) leaks on the food and freezes up, then the freezer looks like a blizzard. The temp in the freezer on the indicator usually only get up to 6 or 7 degrees.

I've replaced the door flapper & solenoid already.

I do have a freezer tstat, I'll go ahead and put that to use but I want to avoid turning on the ice maker and water spilling down to the water dispenser drip tray.

Since I've turned off the ice maker, it's been off for 2 1/2 weeks, this issue hasn't come back since then. When the ice maker was on, this issue would occur at least once, maybe twice a week.

What else could cause this problem? Do I have a defective ice maker? Is the drain line clogged? Bad water inlet valve? Not sure and I want to diagnose correctly and not just replace parts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a previous thread on this refrigerator here:
What did you find wrong last June?

Yes, keep a freezer thermometer in the freezer, we need to know the freezer temperature first.

Jake

G

Things only improved a little bit but have regressed to this current issue. I'm rechecking the freezer temps and will report back. I've just turned on the ice maker. I did replace the ice door flapper and solenoid, that made things better as far as keeping warm air out of the freezer.

G

Ok the issue I've explain is happening as I type. Freezer temps are right along with the tstat, off by maybe 1 degree. The freezer is at 6 degrees, and the tstat is reading at 5 degrees. Water is dripping from the ice bin and it's filling up the water dispenser. Is the defrost Tstat a culprit? Only happens when the ice maker is on? is the ice maker also a possible culprit?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If its only leaking water when the ice maker is on, then the problem is the ice maker itself.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
WR30X10093 Electromechanical Icemaker Kit

If water was leaking with the ice maker off, then problem would be the water inlet valve.

Jake