• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE TFX22ZPBEAA Refrigerator - Defrost element apparently not coming on. Replaced element, defrost thermostat and timer

RMARCIN

Premium Member
Model Number
TFX22ZPBEAA
Brand
GE
I replaced the defrost element, thermostat and the timer. The freeze will freeze up about once a month. Frig cycles off but it doesn't appear that the defrost element is coming on. The element was the first thing I replaced. Ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The freeze will freeze up about once a month.
I don't know what that means, can you go into more detail?

Is the evaporator coil in the freezer completely caked up with frost to where you can barely see the coils?

Look at these photos below, which one does your look like?

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

RMARCIN

Premium Member
Probably the first one. The whole thing is covered in frost...from top to bottom. I also noticed that when it gets to the point where I need to manually defrost it (I've done this about 4 times now) the the refrigerator continues to run. The first thing I replaced was the defrost element...then the timer in the refrigerator side and just recently the defrost thermostat. I guess the new element could be bad but it looks ok. The refrigerator cycles on and off but I never hear the heater kicking in. I have a feeling I'll be manually defrosting in about a month..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Then you likely got a bad part in one that you replaced.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
In the refrigerator section, remove the light cover (#421) The defrost timer (#257) is attached to the back side of the control housing (#436) If you look at the housing in the diagram you'll see three holes on the right side at an angle. The two smaller ones are the screws that hold the defrost timer and the middle one is a manual advance for the timer.

Take a flat blade screwdriver and turn it clockwise (It will only turn one direction) slowly until you hear a click. The refrigerator must be running and when you hear the click the refrigerator will turn off and the defrost cycle will start. You should be able to tell if the heater comes on by placing your hand against the back wall where the heater is(Give it about 5 minutes to start feeling heat). if the heater comes on, replace the timer.

Here's the defrost timer for your model you can order:
GE WR9X489 Defrost Timer

If the heater doesn't come on, you'll need to replace the heater assembly which includes the defrost thermostat.

Here's the defrost heater for your model, it also includes a new defrost thermostat:
WR51X10031 Defrost Heater Assembly

Let us know what you find.

Jake

RMARCIN

Premium Member
I initially replaced defrost element. Mine is a dual element. I then replaced the defrost timer which I bet wasn't bad and lastly the thermostat. Currently the refrigerator does cycle off but I don't hear the heater kick on. I used to hear noise when it was defrosting.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Give it 24 hours, if nothing, then force a defrost cycle by turning your defrost timer slowly clockwise until you hear a loud click then stop, then it will be in defrost, then give it 30 to 40 minutes and see if the defrost timer comes out of the defrost cycle on its own. When it does the compressor will come back on and start to cool again.

Jake

RMARCIN

Premium Member
The refrigerator cycles through defrost mode (it shuts off for a period then back on) but the heater isn't coming on. I guess it could be a bad? Its brand new.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member