• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Top Loader Washing machine makes thudding noise while agitating

new'diy'er

Premium Member
Model Number
WHRE5550K2WW
Brand
GE
I've just recently started repairing appliances and have had alot of luck looking on blogs. ANyway looking for a 'home' to continue doing this.

I have a GE washer that I've had maybe 2 yrs. Its started making a thudding or thumping noise while its agitating usually when its in casual clothes cycle. I can actually copy this noise by moving the agitator back and forth when its not in use. Its offly loud and actually makes my dogs bark at it, When its in its spin cycle it makes the noise but not as loud maybe because its spinning faster? Ant ideas on what it could be and what I would have to do to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I haven't worked on these GE models as of yet, but Shawn has a good webpage that may explain this issue and what to check for here: HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

Jake

new'diy'er

Premium Member
I removed the front of the washer and checked a couple of things. First no red flashing light. Its green. Started wash innder tub doesn't move with outer tub - so not mode shifter. While checking the coil I got a spark and now the inner tub won't spin at all.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
F

fairbank56

There is a fuse in the neutral wire (wht/red) inside the cable harness behind the front panel on the right side. Unplug washer, unplug leftmost plug on inverter. Check continuity between neutral on AC plug (wide blade) and the wht/red wire of inverter plug.

If no continuity, fuse is blown.

Also check continuity between hot on AC plug (narrow blade) and the red/blk as well as hot to gray wire (may be orange on some models) (lid must be closed).

If all continuity checks are good, replace the motor/inverter: Drive Motor WH20X10076

If neutral is open, replace Fuse WH49X10055.

Eric

b249

Premium Member
clunk in agitate mode

Model number: WHRE5550K2WW

Looking for some confirmation before i order a motor.

I've been through Shawns' diagnostics and have determined the following:

Serial number: GT122479G indicates it was made in April 2010, after a service notice was issued for the motor

Motor Part number: GE WH20X10076 Motor, Inverter

This motor is not one of the listed one's in Shawns list of affected motors with a programming issue.

Tub turns during agitation.

C7 pin (shifter motor) has continuity and shows 64.6 Ohms.

Motor has been displaying four flashes for the error code.

As shifter c7 seems to have tested o.k. I reset the motor and got it to flash normal until I ran a test load after which the four flashes resumed.

My armchair diagnosis is that the motor is bad but before I order a part, I would like some confidence that this is what is wrong.

If you require other info to assist me please let me know..I cant beleive this happens with a two year old washer :mad:.

I bought a used set 18 years ago that lasted until I replaced them with this set....

thanks!

b249

b249

Premium Member
new diyer,

You ever figure out what is going on with your washer? I'm having similar problems and posted what I found above.

b249

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi b249, I moved your new thread here since its basically related to the Original Posters thread.

Looks like 4 flashes is this:

4 flashes - Mode shifter circuit failed. If this error code comes up the motor will still operate but if the mode shifter circuit has failed the washer will not agitate properly. To check the mode shifter, first start the washer. Then when the washer starts agitating, look at the tub from the outside. If the whole inside tub is turning back and forth while in agitate, the mode shifter is bad. If the mode shifter is not bad then clear the code as described below and if the code reoccurs replace the motor. See the section on how to check the sifter coil below for more on this.

Here's the shaft and mode shifter assembly for your model:
Clutch WH38X10017 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

<iframe width="496" height="304" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-qer_rxNgwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jake

new'diy'er

Premium Member
I replaced the motor after the spark. Now the new motor gives a continuous red flash. I tried resetting but that didn't work. It makes an awful lot of noise when agitating and the outer tub seems to shift with it as well. I'm looking at the mode shifter being the problem. Though the washer does seem to work its just awful loud during agitaion. Some confirmation from someone would be nice. If anyone has input.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well Shawn said this that I posted above: To check the mode shifter, first start the washer. Then when the washer starts agitating, look at the tub from the outside. If the whole inside tub is turning back and forth while in agitate, the mode shifter is bad.

Do that and report back.

Jake

new'diy'er

Premium Member
It shifts bad and forth with the inner tube, obviously it doesn't turn all the way. There is a definite shift maybe a half an inch as it moves back and forth. Is that what you mean?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, exactly.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds like a plan.

Jake

new'diy'er

Premium Member
Okay have the part and am taking apart the washer. I am havinga heck of a time getting off the tub nut. I have a tub nut wrench and am turning it clockwise - it just won't move. Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The hub nut may be frozen in place, I've have to cut that hub nut off with a chisel many times. You can also buy a can of liquid wrench at any hardware store and spray it on that hub nut and let it soak in for a few hours.

Here's the hub nut in case you need to chisel it off:
Manufacturer's Number: WH2X1193

Jake

new'diy'er

Premium Member
Okay, I had to chisel it off and I have the mode shifter replaced. Am running a large load without anything in it just to see how it goes. During agitation the outer tub barely moves. I still have a flashing red light on the motor though. Ive tried resetting it by unplugging it turning it back on and opening an closing the lid 10-15 times. I've tried it a few times doesn't reset. Any ideas?