GE Triton GSD5500 leak

dseelb

Premium Member
My 4 yr old washer had a frustrating occasional small leak of soapy water on the floor. It was tolerated for awhile because it was only once or twice a week, and I could not find any source by inspection with front panels removed. when it became worse over time, I described all symptoms to a local service professional and was told he couldn't help because "it was a common problem, and GE did not have any solution or recommendations". My floor and baseboards were deteriorating, and I was sick of sponging up the mess! I pulled the unit out and discovered the problem was a poorly (incompetently?) designed connection where the water supply to the spray arm at the very top of the cabinet was leaking and running down the left side of the cabinet. I removed the very sticky sealer that was leaking, and obviously intended as a "patch", where the Part #571 (Hose Power Shower) entered the cabinet top. It is a soft plastic elbow with a flange that is squeezed and pushed through a hole to feed water to part #570 (Spray Arm 3rd Level). There is no mechanical clamping of this connection. It is inevitable that the sealer will eventually degrade and the connection will leak! A homemade washer 1/16 thick, with hole to match elbow flange outlet, and sized to fit into arm assembly recess, provided the mechanical clamping needed, and the problem was solved. This solution may not be permanent, as it depends on the plastic dishwasher housing to remain sufficiently ridgid to maintain clamping integrity. THIS CONNECTION WAS DESIGNED TO FAIL! SHAME ON GE! I cannot believe but all owners of units with this design will not suffer in time! I hope this helps you, because your repairman (and GE) may not. ....Dave

dseelb

Premium Member
Thanks, I did silicone the connection at the top of the cabinet. Time will tell ! Only 4 wash cycles completed. OK so far. .. D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member