GE versus Fisher and Paykel

KingTito

Premium Member
If I chose to replace my troublesome Kenmore Elite side by side refrigerator (106-50793002), I have narrowed my choices down to a GE Profile French Door PFCS1PJXSS or the Fisher and Paykel RF201ADUX.

I like the style and drawer design of the Fisher, I like the water filter location and LED lighting of the GE. The Fisher has some sort of externally mounted filter.

I also perceive that the GE will be easier to get parts for and more people would be able to service it.

Some people think the Fisher is a better product and it won't have as many issues.

Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I've never worked on Fisher and Paykel appliances so I can't really say anything good or bad about them.

GE had motherboard issues in the last few years, but if you buy a new GE today, a new upgraded board will already be installed.

But I recommend any new appliance thats electronically controlled, that you buy an extended warranty service contract for at least 3 yrs. if you have a large family in your household.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If it was me, I would buy the American made GE!

I own a front-load GE washer, its 3 years old, and never had any problems!

Jake

KingTito

Premium Member
That's the way I was leaning. It's an american company, need to support them if they make a good product that is as good, hopefully better, from a durability perspective. While I would prefer to buy Made in the USA, if I have to throw away food too often, I'll have to buy whatever prevents that from happening!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, I support buying from all American appliance companies, better service and support!

Jake

Econo Appliance

Appliance Tech
I agree with Jake - a best bet is to stick with "American made" GE appliances.... or whirlpool....

LG refrigerators are quick slick and have some neat features, but the bottom line is that they are new to the appliance arena, and only time will tell their true reliability.... so far they have been pretty good BUT when they DO fail, its usually somewhat expensive (because everything is electronically controlled)

thats why an extended warranty is a good idea for peace of mind

If you have the room, I say go Sub-Zero. My favorite!