• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Washer GFW148SSM0WW Won't start Timer counting down in seconds and turning off

BR10

Premium Member
Model Number
GFW148SSM0WW
Brand
GE
GE front load washer
Wash cycle was stalled, door was locked. I cleared a coin out of the drain filter, and drained a little water. The door unlocked. Machine would not restart.

I put machine into Consumer Fault Code Mode. Several codes displayed : E2, E4, FA, FC1, FV

I put machine into Service Mode, Water on. Went through each mode. Cleared codes in T02. Test T04 showed all buttons beeped. Test T05 , No valve action.
Test T06 , No water fill. Test T07, Drain pump Not running. Test T10, No spin

I put machine in Demo mode. Door lock symbol turned on and off but door did Not lock.
I tested the resistance on the door lock coil , Good

Tried running wash cycle, control knob and lights seem to work, but timer only runs for one minute and then control turns off.
Tested for codes, No new codes appeared.

Question : Could the door lock cause this default ?
Is there another procedure to reset control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like the main control board is malfunctioning because the other tests are not activating as well.

Here's the main control board(aka power board) for your model:

You can Do this test and see if the door lock is good or not:
Screenshot 2021-12-28 09.25.52.png

Jake

BR10

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for the reply.

Oh Well, Gone are the days of just replacing a belt or a motor mount...

Since all those function tests did not activate, I tested the input power to main board and 12 V. output to UI board and Inverter. So, I also assumed the UI board Is working and the Main Control board was at fault.
So, I ordered a GE brand Main Board WX18X28357 and installed that. Same Problem.

This machine has ethernet ports front and rear. So, I figured out this machine has optional WiFi connection.
I ordered a connection module PBX23W00Y0 and am waiting for it. Still have to work out how to use the smart HQ app. (waiting for the module)
I was hoping the wifi app might help with diagnosis and checking updates and upgrades to control board software and possibly a reset function.
(my computer knowledge is mostly just unplug and plug in again)

I will retest door lock function in Demo mode and the wiring tests again. Previously, in demo mode the light switched from locked to unlock, but the lock did Not click.

Question: Is the timer countdown, which goes for aprox. one minute and then shuts down, a default mode?
Does the UI board control the timer?
Is it possible the UI board is at fault?
Is there an option I need to change in Test Mode T01 for Model ID Configuration?

Appreciate the help, I'm already in over my head, Brio

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I haven't worked on this model as of yet, so I can't answer those questions.

But I did locate the service manual here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/137YXbgr2zGxATgKcWN65SpTQAPv5YvxJ/view?usp=sharing

Is it possible the UI board is at fault?
Page 44 in the service manual is the UI Diagnostics.

Here's the UI Board for your model:

Jake