• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Washer GLWN5050M1WS Clicking noise during agitation and spin

Kingbleach

Premium Member
Model Number
GLWN5050M1WS
Brand
GE
Hi,

Just bought this GE washer that’s been in storage for a bit. I’ve been hearing a click-like noise during agitation and spin. Its very loud during final spin, making the slight clicking noise along with a louder “roaring” or “airplane” sound. I’ve taken the washer apart thinking it’s the bearing, but I’m not sure at this point. When I took the tub out, you can see this dry black/dark brown liquid stuff on the bottom panel.

I’d heard before that this would call for a transmission/gearcase replacement. Does this even have one? I only see a shaft attached to like a shifter. I manually spin the motor and shaft but don’t hear the clicking. Any suggestions? I have a new bearing and seal, but didn’t want to put it back together if it needs a gearcase as well. TIA!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 25

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, your Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly is bad.

Here's the Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly for your model you can order:
WH38X10017 Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly

There is a video in the Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly part link that shows you how to replace it.

Jake

Kingbleach

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake. I replaced the shaft assembly and it works flawlessly now, at least in that aspect. Now when the washer is done with a cycle, it keeps dripping water from the inlet valve into the tub at about a rate of 1 big drop every second. I’m guessing the inlet valve suddenly went out?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @Kingbleach glad to hear the new Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly fixed it.(y)

Now when the washer is done with a cycle, it keeps dripping water from the inlet valve into the tub at about a rate of 1 big drop every second. I’m guessing the inlet valve suddenly went out?
You guessed right.:)

Here's the part you need:
ge-valve-triple-water-wh13x10037-ap4412517_01_l.jpg

Jake