• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE washer GTW330ASK2WW doesn't fully spin out the water

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, personality code 11 is correct for your model.

I don't know why the service manual says 8 for yours, but that service manual is dated, and that's probably what happened, they updated the personality codes since the service manual came out.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Good morning Jake,
I Facetimed with my daughter to pull the fault codes using the consumer error mode. The only fault code was #26, out of balance. When pressing the start button again it lit all seven LEDs, blinking as the service bulletin says. When pressed again it adds the the eight light on the far left, deep rinse, then when pressed again they all go off. Photo shows washer in consumer error mode.
She then did a load of sheets with no problems.
What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• lp_image.jpeg
    lp_image.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 54

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's difficult to say Jim, since it works at times and not other times, I'm puzzled too.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

Would you go ahead with the lid switch kit anyway? It is a service bulletin that applies to this machine.

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It is a service bulletin that applies to this machine.
Yes, I know but error code 26 does not fall into the error codes in the service flash.

Repair:
Step 1- Obtain control fault codes by entering service mode. You may see any of the following codes (2, 9, 13, 14, 23, 24, 27, 32).
Step 2- Write down, then clear the fault codes.
Step 3- Check harness integrity and continuity from main board to lid lock assembly. If good, ensure harness connections are fully seated both at the main board and lid lock assembly.
Step 4- If the harness tests good, replace the lid lock assembly.

After the final spin cycle the spin light remained lit - I don't believe it had done that before.
Update: The spin light did go out after approx 20 minutes.
It seems to me that control board you got from Parts DR. is not functioning properly, since its doing that odd "spin light remained lit" that it was not doing before.

I'd contact Parts DR and have them exchange that control board first for another new one.

Another thing is rather odd--->Parts Dr lists that board at $139 and AppliancePartsPros at $192 and RepairClinic at $197: https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/WH22X32357/4960848

Why is Parts dr not even in the ballpark of the $190 range of retail?

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

The supplier didn't have a second board to ship - I went ahead with a second purchase at Appliance Parts Pros, should have headed your original advice.....

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jim, let us know how it goes. Make sure you disconnect power to the washer before you install the new board.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Ok Jim, let us know how it goes. Make sure you disconnect power to the washer before you install the new board.

Jake
Jake,

The new board is in & we cleared the #26 fault code. We ran it through a complete cycle with no articles in the washer and after the spin cycle completed, the spin light remained on & during the spin cycle the spin light was blinking, although no codes were stored. I reached out to Appliance Parts Pros and explained I originally had the #26 error code & was told I need the update HL04-18 update we had discussed before. I told him that I don't believe that pertains to my washer although he insisted! He also suggested the suspension rods, I said they seem secure, but is this a possibility? One thing I didn't mention previously was when you put it in the drain/spin cycle it often fills the washer with water. I saw online that may mean the washer is trying to even out the load by filling then agitating before the spin.
I'd certainly like to try a couple loads before doing anything else!

Thanks for your patience!
Jim

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,
How are these suspension rods replaced? I couldn't find a video for our GTW330ASK2WW, the videos I found for other GE washers instruct you to remove the front panel, but our model doesn't allow for a front panel removal! Maybe place the washer on it's side to access them from the bottom? I reached out to Appliance Parts and they said there were no videos & he couldn't help :-(

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did it spin much better with the new board you just got?

Unless the tub was banging on the sides of the cabinet you shouldn't need new suspension rods.

In post #17 I posted the service manual, look for the steps to replace the suspension rods.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

I have not run a load of wash but with the second board it acted the same way as before, blinking spin light while spinning and the spin light stayed on after the load was completed. I don't believe it reached full spin speed as it used to when new.
I have looked the manual over several times and they show where the suspension rods are located from the bottom of the washer but I don't see any replacement explanation. Maybe the top is removed then you have access to the rods? This Youtube video shows a similar washer having the top removed.

While talking with Appliance parts he said to push down on the agitator & if it wobbles coming back up they need replaced, I did order the four rods.

Hoping to see an improvement!

Thanks,
Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I have not replaced the suspension rods on this model, so I can't tell you how to do it, sorry.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

Did my video show an indication that the suspension rods are the culprit of the spin? The agitator does wobble a lot...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No Jim, because I only go by it banging on the sides when its spinning.

I've never heard of anyone saying to push it down and see that way.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

I installed the new suspension rods that appliance parts had suggested and it did the same thing. The load was soaking wet & bounced around, this time having a fault code 26 and 27. 26 is out of balance & 27 references the lid (due to the service bulletin“ but the manual doesn’t specify what exactly it is for. I then ordered the new lid switch assembly after checking the wiring which seemed fine far as continuity - just installed that. Cleared all the fault codes & did a load, didn’t bounce around & it did not appear to be out of balance at all, but the spin light was flashing, not reaching high speed & stayed on again after the wash was done. The book indicates the flashing light means out of balance although there was no codes this time. I check level each & every time I return the washer to it’s proper position. Is there something that detects out of balance & won’t allow high speed - that may be defective?
Thanks for listening…
Crazy!
Jim

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

Something else I wanted to mention is when I put it in spin/drain the washer fills & agitates before spinning, the customers manual says it’s trying to balance the load before spinning. But there is no error code!

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd Jim, I'm very puzzled by this situation, you will likely need to contact GE to come out at 1-800-432-2737 to what's going on, nothing else that I'm aware of can cause this problem.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

Just completed another load, this was a light load and it didn't shake or seem out of balance at all, but I don't think it spun at the highest speed and I have the error code 26 again, out of balance. Again the spin light blinks when spinning and stays on for 20 minutes or so after the wash is done. The book does indicates the speed sensor or balance ring as a possibility. I don't even see a balance ring in the parts list!

Jim
That's very odd Jim, I'm very puzzled by this situation, you will likely need to contact GE to come out at 1-800-432-2737 to what's going on, nothing else that I'm aware of can cause this problem.

Jake
Jake, The speed control is pretty inexpensive, what do you think, should I give it a try & replace it? I actually did have an appointment scheduled for today but I canceled it when it gave me that #27 & I tried the lid lick assembly.

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No Jim,

Don't keep replacing parts.

Jake

ruster

Premium Member
Jake,

I did move forward with the replacement of the speed sensor. (Sorry I didn't listen to you - but AppliancePartsPros only wanted about $17 plus shipping) Since last Thursday we've done at least eight loads of wash with no problem, no error codes, the spin light doesn't flash & it goes out when the load is done. This was my last attempt to repair the issue and so far - it's good. My fingers are crossed that the wet wash problem doesn't return, previously it was a problem at least once out of three loads or even more often. 🤞

Thanks for your help!

Jim