• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Washer GTW330ASK2WW not spinning clothes dry

NJGreg

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW330ASK2WW
Brand
GE
I am suffering from what seems to be a common issue with these GE Washers. It is leaving clothes dripping wet when the wash cycle has ended.
Model: GTW330ASK2WW Serial #: SH180552G

I have run the diagnostic and get code 26, Out of Balance. (The clothes are definitely not out of balance) This is the only code I am getting from the machine.
I have also done the pressure port service with a 1/16" drill bit.
It successfully completed the "Spin" test (test 14).
I pulled the suspension rod/spring assemblies yesterday and they were all fine.

1) My question is can this unit successfully pass the "spin test" and still have a bad speed sensor? There was a 3 page thread on this unit by a member named "Ruster" started on 1/14/2022. He seems to be describing my same issues. Him replacing the speed sensor finally fixed his unit after he changed out MANY parts. He never specified if or how he tested the speed sensor. The manual that's been posted on here lists the speed sensor as a possible cause for Fault Code 26. Is it possible the sensor is bad, yet it runs and completes the "Spin" test successfully without locking out as the manual says it will?

2) Also, during the "Spin" test the unit made an intermittent, loud metallic noise. (I thought maybe it was a broken suspension rod/spring so I pulled them, but they were ok)
I don't know if this noise is a completely separate, additional issue or if it's related to this "leaving the clothes wet" problem. The machine doesn't make this noise while operating, but it isn't coming up to full speed on spin like it used to. Just based on how it sounds and feels, while it will spins during a wash cycle, it feels and sounds slower than it used to. It did seem to come up to full speed on the "Spin" test, and when the noise started coming from it.

3) It seems the SUM software update hasn't worked for many people on this issue. If you Pro's think it's the control board will the "new" and I assume improved control board have the updated software setting already ? The cost of the SUM vs. a new control board aren't that far apart, so I'm thinking (maybe incorrectly) the new board eliminates the need for the SUM update module.

Here is a short video of the noise it made while running the "Spin" test #14.

Thanks for your help and input.
Greg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Greg,

That noise in the video sounds like something is loose while its spinning, I'd first check the tub nut underneath the agitator and see if its loose, that can cause the code 26 and the "not spinning properly" issue as well.

Here's the tub nut for your model:
Nut Hub WH02X10363

Watch this video below, it shows you how to remove the auger, then you will see the 7/16" screw to remove the agitator base to get access to the tub nut.

Jake

NJGreg

Premium Member
Thanks Jake!
I'll check this when I get home later and report back, I appreciate your advice.

Greg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Greg, sounds good.

Jake

NJGreg

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I pulled the agitator (mine turned out to be a one piece agitator). The tub nut is still on very tight. There’s no play I can detect in any direction between the tub and the shaft. I ran another diagnostic (same out of balance fault code 26 displayed) and test 14 “spin test”.
It got up to full speed during the test but made that horrible noise. I took some additional videos.
Do you think I should go ahead and replace the tub nut anyway? Or is there something else to look for that maybe the source of this noise ?
Thanks!
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_1724.MOV
    15.7 MB
  • IMG_1726.MOV
    18.9 MB

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Greg, if the tub nut is tight, next check the belt.

Here's the belt for your model:
WH01X24697 Drive Belt

Then also check the pulleys underneath the washer to sure they are tight.

Also, check for something in the drain pump making that noise, like a foreign object.

Here's the Drain Pump for this model:
WH23X28418 Drain Pump

Watch this video to access it:

NJGreg

Premium Member
Jake-
Happy to report that this is finally fixed.
It was the belt. Apparently, it must have been slipping which is evidenced by the fine rubber shreds that were in the belt guard and surrounding area.
I cleared the error code, and have done multiple loads of laundry this weekend that were finally spun dry once again (and the noise is gone).

Thanks for your help. Hopefully this case helps other members as well as it didn't fit the usual pattern of this error code and problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1735.JPG
    IMG_1735.JPG
    597.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1736.JPG
    IMG_1736.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 35

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Greg, glad to hear the new belt fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

dtbaker61

Premium Member
Jake-
Happy to report that this is finally fixed.
It was the belt. Apparently, it must have been slipping which is evidenced by the fine rubber shreds that were in the belt guard and surrounding area.
I cleared the error code, and have done multiple loads of laundry this weekend that were finally spun dry once again (and the noise is gone).

Thanks for your help. Hopefully this case helps other members as well as it didn't fit the usual pattern of this error code and problem.
turns out I had the exact same problem.... and hoping for same fix with new belt.

I sure wish I came across your post first, would have saved me a full day of other attempts which included replacing suspension rods, checking drain hose, pulling drain pump and checking impeller, considering speed sensor next, but hoping the belt is the culprit. I just happened to look after I checked the drain pump because I saw black rubber crumbs on the floor. the problem wasn't obvious until I pulled off the massive black plastic pulley protector which makes it impossible to see the condition of the belt itself until you remove it.

Attachments

• 06 bad belt.jpg
    06 bad belt.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 10

NJGreg

Premium Member
I bet it will.
I did almost all the things you did, in vain.
Finally flipped it on its side and saw all the black rubber shavings and that fixed it all.
Good luck, post your results.
Greg

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.