• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Washer GTW330ASK4WW not finishing fast spin

dtbaker61

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW330ASK4WW
Brand
GE
I have a GE GTW330ASK4WW that is not finishing with fast spin... throws out-of-balance' error and leaves clothes sopping wet.

Observations:
- seems like drain is incomplete as I can hear a little water between tub and agitator if I wiggle agitator/drum to simulate OOB
- light load, even NO clothes will not finish 'drain and spin' with fast spin
- fill, agitate, drain, and slow spin seem fine
- volume of water draining seems fine
- drain is not clogged.

- final drain after rinse ok, starts slow spin, little bit of audible knocking out of balance, washer quits spin, adds water, tries again, fails fast spin and ends cycle sopping wet. same result with 'drain and spin' even with light well-balanced load, even with NO load it never hits fast spin any more. Washer seems to have developed this error over the last month, failing occasionally at first, but every time now.

Things tried so far:
- replaced suspension rods. (there are no rubber straps at top on this model)
- lid locks/unlocks fine
- cleared motor codes with unplug, wait, plug, 6x lid open/close
- checked drain hose, clear
- looked inside drain pump, impeller clear
- pulled drain pump, no blockage above pump, and really hardly any water trapped in drain pan, just a little sloshing I guess

What's next?

Is it advisable/possible to pull the agitator to see if something is trapped under it causing OOB? It looks like this model has a one-piece agitator/footpiece held on with a bolt visible at bottom of agitator auger.

---update---
I have not pulled agitator, but I did notice rubber bits collecting around pulley cover.... so I pulled the cover, and found a sad looking belt that looks like a dog has been chewing on it... not broken, but not in very good shape. slightly loose on pulleys such that it may have been slipping under torque and failed to accelerate to fast spin?
----

I read a few threads where a new speed sensor may have worked, but I am wondering how since this SEEMS to be a balance issue. What else can I pull apart to find cause of balance problem?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its possibly the speed sensor on yours too:
Looks like I would need this speed sensor: Speed Sensor WH03X32158

I found this video and wonder if my speed sensor location is the same as the GE GTW485ASJ3WS:

Thank you for your assistance!
Jim

You will also need a new belt, since yours is in bad shape.

Here's the belt for your model:

tilt.JPG

dtbaker61

Premium Member
thanks for the link to the belt.... I had ordered from ApplianceParts365.com , but their website is not nearly as good as AppliancePartsPros.com and I ordered the wrong belt yesterday! Re-ordered with AppliancePartsPros.com after checking against model number.....

I am hoping that replacing the belt fixes the spin problem.... I suspect that the old loose belt was slipping for some period of time that exceeded the software check and shut down the spin. I thought I'd replace belt first, speed sensor next if that doesn't take care of it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dtbaker61

Premium Member
Ok, sounds good.

Also, here's the service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FiXXV68WvPZ4ukyUXtY7PGIV2C8bpVkK/view?usp=sharing Page 62 shows you how to test the speed/hall sensor, if you want to verify that is working properly as well.
thanks, but did not need to do this.... I installed new belt yesterday, and washer is spinning like a dervish.
I was going to edit my top post, but the system apparently doesn't allow edits after a couple days? you can add your 'fixed' tag to the title.
Looks like another GE fast spin fixed with a new belt

Last edited:

dtbaker61

Premium Member
---update---
I have not pulled agitator, but I did notice rubber bits collecting around pulley cover.... so I pulled the cover, and found a sad looking belt that looks like a dog has been chewing on it... not broken, but not in very good shape. slightly loose on pulleys such that it may have been slipping under torque and failed to accelerate to fast spin?
----

new belt fixed it

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new belt fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

dtbaker61

Premium Member
Excellent, glad to hear the new belt fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!
yeah, I wish that was the FIRST thing I had checked.....

The suspension rods really did NOT need to be replaced, but that was the first thing I tried based on recommendations I read online.

One thing I would recommend for anybody under the washer replacing a belt is to push the drum up while you are under.... and dab some silicone grease in the barrel of the suspension rod plunger. It is a plastic/plastic interface that will wear and lose its seal over time.... making it a less effective 'shock absorber/dampener'. A dab of grease inside each barrel will likely extend life of the suspension system indefinitely.

Attachments

• 03 repl suspension.jpg
    03 repl suspension.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 20
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.