• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE washer GTW460ASJ4WW won't spin

UnknownGnome

Model Number
GTW460ASJ4WW
Brand
GE
I have a GE washer. Model: GTW460ASJ4WW. It drains, agitates, locks just fine. But spinning isn't working - most of the time. I've done the best troubleshooting I could come up with. Sometimes the thing will spin, but most of the time it doesn't.

It spins fine in the diagnostic mode.

It rarely sounds when on the "Drain & Spin" setting (or any other wash setting).
Giving the basket, or the motor, a little boost doesn't help get it going. The motor spins easily by hand.
I took the belt off of the motor and it still doesn't spin.
When it's supposed to be spinning it does make a noise, but I can tip the machine on edge and see that the motor isn't spinning.
There is a bunch of grease around the motor, belt, and transmission.
No fault codes were found.
I've seen things about a software update? Since I don't see any fault codes for out of balance, I'm skeptical on that.
Could it be motor, or transmission, or other? I'd rather buy/replace the correct part first.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, there is a service bulletin on this. It says--->Intermittently Spin Up, Wet Loads, Not Spinning

--->A washer exhibiting symptoms of not spinning or occasionally not reaching full spin speed, resulting in wet clothes, may be repaired with a software update.

--->Upon entering fault code test 1 in service mode, technicians will find out of balance fault 26 has been set. Washers will spin normally in service mode test 14, but will not spin outside of service mode.

But if you are not seeing fault 26, then you have a different problem and hopefully another tech. that works on these GE washers day in and day out can shed some light on this issue.

Other than that, it would be best to contact GE to come out at 1-800-432-2737.

Jake