• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Washer GTW460ASJ5WW - Personality code information

dbwii

Premium Member
Hello,

I tested my GE washer GTW460ASJ5WW and it gave several codes. I could 'trick' it into spinning but not without much trouble. The lid locks, the machine spins when tricked and the pump drains. No trash, no loud noises. I ordered a new control board from AMAZON. It came in a soft package and no box. It had no personality code instructions. It had no jumpers to change and was an exact fit. It is: Ui & Control Board TL27 Le WH22X32357

The washer lights blinked when I plugged it in, but I can't make it start without programming the 'personality code' which is printed on something I do not have. I unplugged the washer and wrote this. What's the wise next move please, if you know?????

Thanks so much!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Personality code for your machine is 11. Did you check for any error codes? How did you "trick" it into spinning?

dbwii

Premium Member
Personality code for your machine is 11. Did you check for any error codes? How did you "trick" it into spinning?
I spun the dial 360+ and ended on drain and spin, then turned the next knob to extra rinse and spin. That worked about half of the time. The washer apparently knew it owed me another fill, rinse and spin...at least once or twice? It was making "board" mistakes all over the place in any cycle. I think lightning got it.

I hunted around on here and found the correct personality code. I thought I had it right, but the washer won't recognize three wash cycles, active wear, bulky items, jeans. They are found together at the bottom of the center dial. It has done 2 loads on other cycles (colors and speed wash). They seem to be OK. I am going to check and see if I made a mistake programming it after this one finishes. I am not sure the board I got is from a bona fide seller. It came from AMAZON. I think I can return it. It had no instructions or real decent packaging.

The board was the problem. My washer is washing, rinsing and spinning as it should. Is this the place to get a better quality board if I need one? I certainly appreciate your advice.

David

dbwii

Premium Member
I tried programming it again. It won't hold the code. It tests all lights out (0, I think). It must be a bad board? Who knows? It will work, but I'd rather have it work as it should.

rickgburton

Staff member
The correct personality code for your machine is 11. To program the right personality code:

Press and hold the "Start" button for 10 seconds while rotating the "Cycle Select" knob 180 degrees (seven clicks) and release the Start button.

All the LEDs will turn off for 3 seconds and then start blinking. ("0" should be in the display)

Turn the Cycle Select knob clockwise until "17" is in the display and press the "Start" button.

The current personality code is displayed. If incorrect press the "Start" button for the next available code.

When the correct personality code is displayed, press and hold the Start button.

Press the power button to exit or wait 30 minutes.

dbwii

Premium Member
Exactly as I did it. When I held the start button after reaching the proper personality code (yes - 11) the LEDs would not stop blinking, even after about 15 or 20 seconds. I held the button for 20 seconds last time and waited 1 minute the before unplugging the washer for about 5 minutes. When I checked the code again, which involved the process you just described, start, knob 180 degrees (7clicks), then rotation until personality code test (#17 I think, mine is analog and I matched the schematic), then push start once; it registered all lights off (again, 0 - I think) and would not run the lower cycles.

I did one final load and it worked well on "casuals." The biggest question that I have is in making sure that no other parts on that washer have digital boards which would or could interfere with programming a code? I certainly thank you for your help Rick! I see you are seasoned in experience. I have been a GC for over 45 years. R12, R22, 410A, what's next? LOL

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dbwii

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. I tried one more time to punch in the personality code, using the 'time out' Rick mentioned in his post. If it works, OK, if not I'll be ordering that board tomorrow. Both of you have been a great help. Thanks to y'all! I'll keep you posted.

rickgburton

Staff member
Do you still have the old board? Put it back in and check for error codes.

dbwii

Premium Member
I replaced the new piece of junk with the original board. I got 6 fault codes via the old board.

1st was #14 or 'spin'
2nd was #7 or 'cold water valve'
3rd was #22 or 'out of balance'
4th was #19 or 'normal...timeout'
5th was #16 or 'slow drain'
6th was #18 or 'drain pump clearing'

I did not run the washer, but it did recognize all cycles when the cycle selector knob was rotated, unlike the AMAZON junk board.

Your turn?

rickgburton

Staff member
Might not be the control. Here's two service bulletins that pertain to your model. If you have trouble following the steps, let me know.

Attachments

• GTW MTW HTW- ERRORS F19 F23.pdf
    194.4 KB · Views: 35
  • GTW HTW MTW No spin agitate or drain.pdf
    613.6 KB · Views: 30

dbwii

Premium Member
Thank you very much. Even if this is not the problem, it's good to know it can be one. My 'gut' tells me it is the board for several reasons. It started acting up after a thunderstorm. The only symptom was that it would not spin after rinsing for a while. Then it started to do things differently, like spin on one load, but not on another. That leads you to believe it is poor balance. I ran it without clothes and watched it. Once it spun, then it didn't, just sat there. It ran differently on different wash cycles.

The symptoms got increasingly worse. Finally, when I installed a new board, it ran perfectly three times in a row, with clothes in it, on different wash cycles each time. The only complaint I had was that it didn't recognize three cycles on the knob, one of which I use half of the time. When I reinstalled the old board it regognized them as it always had. I intend to do a test run tonight to see if it will spin. The only way lately to get that done is to adjust it to 'extra rinse and spin' on another knob.

I ordered another board from this site today. If it comes in and doesn't cure the problem, I'll use the clean out technique first if I get the results the first maintenance notice mentions.

We'll see, and I'll keep you posted. Thank you very much.