• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Washer GTW680BSJ0WS Leaking and not agitating/spinning

lokelo

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW680BSJ0WS
Brand
GE
Having some strange issues with my washer.
Sometimes it won't finish spinning out and putting it on spin cycle it still won't spin. You can hear a ticking/buzzing noise coming from the shift actuator - https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Shift-Actuator/WH03X30517/4961069.
The blue piece spins and raises/lowers the paddle. It spins at a constant rate.

I'm also having some intermittent leaking coming out from the bottom of the washer but not 100% sure where its coming from.

After being unplugged for a while, it works, sometimes. It has been acting up more often lately.

I checked the error codes and the only one that seemed remotely relevant is 13, for the lid switch per this link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FiXXV68WvPZ4ukyUXtY7PGIV2C8bpVkK/view

I put it in Field Service mode and tested the lid switch with no issue

I tried just the drain pump (12) and that worked.
The Spin (14) and agitate (15) options just do the same clicking noise described above.

Any idea on where to start? Hoping its cheaper to fix than it is to replace.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

lokelo

Premium Member
Its working today. Not leaking either.
I'm only running smaller loads in case it stops so I don't have to empty it out by hand.

This isn't the first time that it sitting for a day or so has gotten it working again.

lokelo

Premium Member
Also, I was able to rotate the motor by hand with the belt attached when the shift actuator was doing its thing. Next time it acts up I will try to take the belt off and see if it acts differently. I'm wondering if somehow the water dripping over the pulley had something to do with it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I was able to rotate the motor by hand with the belt attached when the shift actuator was doing its thing. Next time it acts up I will try to take the belt off and see if it acts differently.
Ok yes, good idea!

I'm wondering if somehow the water dripping over the pulley had something to do with it?
That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Its very important that you find that leak first.

Jake

lokelo

Premium Member
It is not leaking at the moment. I thought that maybe it was the seal at the bottom of the tub but was not able to get the spanner nut off. I don't have one of those special tools and a pipe wrench would not work.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
A pipe wrench should work, but find a pipe wrench with a short handle on it.:)

Jake

lokelo

Premium Member
I couldn't get it to budge one bit. I was turning it clockwise since its a left handed thread. I stopped before I stripped the nut out.
If it starts leaking again I'll have to buy one of the remover tools I guess.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I understand now.

Try to soak the hub nut liberally in rust buster or liquid wrench overnight before you attempt getting it off again.

Jake

lokelo

Premium Member
So it has been leaking worse lately and not working for a day or 2 after 1-2 washes so I finally broke down and tore the washer apart entirely.
I had to use a pair of vice grips and a hammer to get the hub nut off and have ordered a replacement as well as some washers.

It does not appear that my washer has a removeable seal, anyone able to confirm? The seal on top of the transmission assembly (part 320 on this page https://www.repairclinic.com/Produc...6e2503/0686a040-9b27-5e7a-42fb-5539354e003d/y) seems to be in tact.

Any kind of other sealant that I can put on the seal transmission shaft that goes into the tub?

I'm also going to hose off the inside of the tub pieces in order to get all the gunk off, not sure if that could be part of the issue or not.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Any kind of other sealant that I can put on the seal transmission shaft that goes into the tub?
RTV Sealant should be fine.

You can get RTV sealant at any hardware or auto parts store

Jake