• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Washer GTW680BSJ1WS - loud during spin cycle

Randyk1121

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW680BSJ1WS
Brand
GE
Hey everyone, I have a GE Washer and I'm concerned about how loud this thing is. It's only loud during spin cycles, with a load or running without a load (like the self clean cycle), still makes loud thumping sounds. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any idea as to what it is. I've already adjusted the feet on it, it doesn't have any movement at all on the ground if I try to rock or move the machine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That sounds like the drain pump making that sound.

Take another video of it with water in it, then put it on DRAIN/SPIN so we can hear it draining too, then spinning as well.

Jake

Randyk1121

Premium Member
Here is a new upload I did about 5 minutes. I think at 3:00 is when the loud thumping begins. That same sound happens when it spins down as well

I'm not going to lie here, I bought this washer with a broken basket, and I found a same exact model washer also not working. The pumps were fried from well water so I swapped the basket over, it was in really good condition. Im not an expert here but I wasn't sure if it was the suspension rods doing this, a bad pulley, or transmission. Either way I have the other parts washer still I can salvage parts off and try.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very interesting, I really have no clue what that banging sound is. I have never run across that sound before on any brand washer.

I will leave your thread open for others to reply that have this same noise you are having, then they can possibly shed some light on it for you of what part is causing that noise.

Jake