• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Washer GTWN2800D1WW loud during spin cycle

prwood

Premium Member
Model Number
GTWN2800D1WW
Brand
GE
Our GE top loading washer, model GTWN2800D1WW, is having an issue during the spin cycle where it is consistently extremely loud. The noise isn't banging, rhythmic, or squeaky, just sounds very loud, like a loud airplane engine. The spin cycle does work correctly and water is being spun out and drained well, and there is no banging or shaking during the spin cycle, it's just much louder than it used to be. It also occasionally has a metallic smell.

I have taken the front cover off, and checked the counterweight, all the bolts holding the driveshaft together, and the belt drive, and everything seems very clean and solid. There are no signs that anything is leaking.

I have uploaded a couple of videos to YouTube showing the problem (one with cover on and one with cover off). I'm hoping someone can take a look/listen and see if they can identify where the problem might be coming from. Thanks!

P.S. The age of the washer is unknown as we acquired it from someone else who did not know the age (the forum required me to choose an age, so I put 6-10 years, assuming it's not very new).

Loud during spin cycle - cover on:
Loud during spin cycle - cover off:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The problem is the Shaft & Tube Assembly has worn out.

Here's the Shaft & Tube Assembly for your model you can order:
WH38X10019 Shaft & Tube Asm

Watch this video to replace it:

Its also a good idea to replace the bearing while you have it all apart:
ge-bearing-tub-wh2x1198-ap2045289_01_m.jpg

Jake

prwood

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for your reply. In your opinion, is there any chance it's just the tub bearing that needs to be replaced, or is it most likely the whole drive assembly?

Also, I haven't noticed any signs of leakage. Is it possible for this part to fail for other reasons than leakage from the tub seal? Is it possible that overloading the washer could have caused this to wear out prematurely?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In your opinion, is there any chance it's just the tub bearing that needs to be replaced, or is it most likely the whole drive assembly?
That I don't know, but you have ball bearings in the Shaft & Tube Assembly that can make that same jumbo jet taking off sound.

Also, I haven't noticed any signs of leakage. Is it possible for this part to fail for other reasons than leakage from the tub seal? Is it possible that overloading the washer could have caused this to wear out prematurely?
It's hard to say, you'd really just have to remove it and see which it is.

But either way, you'd have to take the Shaft & Tube Assembly out anyways to change the solid tub bearing.

Jake

prwood

Premium Member
Just wanted to let you know that I replaced the shaft and tube assembly, tub seal, and tub bearing. The washer is now much quieter during the spin cycle and doesn't make the same jet taking off sound. In addition, the spin cycle is now getting out much more water than it previously did, which I wasn't even aware was an issue.

There is one other issue that I'm wondering about, which is that the agitation during the wash cycle seems very weak, almost like it was on a delicate cycle or something, even though it's set on a standard wash cycle. This was happening before I replaced the drive, and I had thought it might have also been an issue with the drive, but it seems like it wasn't. The agitator and agitator bell assembly were all in good shape when I did the disassembly, so I don't think there are any problems there.

Are there any other reasons agitation might be weak?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear its much quieter and spinning much better.(y)

Are there any other reasons agitation might be weak?
The service manual says WHITES and COLORS have the greatest wash intensity, and provides the best overall cleaning. It doesn't mention the speed of the agitator.

Jake

prwood

Premium Member
Here is a video of the agitation on the Colors cycle. Does this seem normal?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes that's normal.

Jake