• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Washer GTWN4250M1WS driving me crazy

tenx82

Premium Member
Model Number
GTWN4250M1WS
Brand
GE
Could really use some help here. No idea what's going on with this thing, or what to do next.
Washer will fill and drain, but will not spin or agitate on any setting.
I've already replaced lid sensor, motor, and control panel (Mine had WH12X10508, not WH12X10024 that I've seen mentioned he multiple times. Though, I did try one of those too.)
I reset the machine multiple times after replacing each part. All motor + board combos result in a 10 flash code when the machine tries changing to any spin or agitate cycle.

All control boards test good with a DMM (13.08V at red+blue, 0.6-0.8V at red+yellow).
Shifter coil also tests good with a DMM.
Both motors will reset to the steady 1s flash when machine is reset by lifting/closing the lid 6 times in 12 seconds.
Both motors spin freely in both directions.
No errors in diagnostic mode.
No parts appear to be broken anywhere in the machine.

Nothing happens in service mode: no hot/cold water, no spin, no agitation.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I helped another person a few years ago with this similar issue:
Do what I mentioned there and see what happens.

Your model uses that same exact control board and motor in that thread.

Jake

tenx82

Premium Member
Saw that post, and have already done all of that. My washer's original control board is WH12X10508, not WH12X10524. I've tried both models, though, with the same result.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My washer's original control board is WH12X10508, not WH12X10524. I've tried both models, though, with the same result.
Click this link:
GE WH12X10508 Board Asm Mounted

Then you will see the Appliance Compatibility Tool then put your model number in that box and it says: Sorry This part is not compatible.

Your model uses this one from the factory:
Control Board WH12X10524

But if you already tried both, then I don't know what else is causing your issue, unless you have a crimped or shorted wire from the control board to the motor assembly.

Check all your wires thoroughly, also check the metal pins in the plastic connectors to see if any are burnt or backed out.

Jake

tenx82

Premium Member
Yea, not sure why the discrepancy. I initially order the 10524 part because that's what the internet said it uses. Didn't realize it had the 10508 part until I went to change it out.
I do know for certain that 10508 was the original board, though, because we bought the washer new when we bought our house, and it hasn't had any parts replaced until now.

I've given up for now and am picking up a new washer and dryer in about an hour, but I'll be tinkering with this one as time allows, and will report back with my findings if I manage to get it working again. (Was planning to upgrade next year any way after our remodel, but I wanted to then put these to use in the garage.)

I did look over the wiring/connectors and didn't see any evidence of a short anywhere. It also worked just fine on a previous load the same day, maybe an hour before it died.
The only oddity I found was that it doesn't do anything (water, spin, agitate) in service mode. But I've seen some others say the same and their washer still functioned properly throughout wash cycles, so I'm not sure if that's really a concern.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is very odd. I really don't know what else would be causing this, sorry.

Jake