• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Washer GUD27ESSJ0WW - Squeaks during Agitation

Kalsarikannit

Premium Member
Model Number
GUD27ESSJ0WW
Brand
GE
Hi, I have a roughly 5-year old GE Laundry center that has started making a squeak sound during the agitation cycle. Initially during agitation, there is no squeak, then it seems like it was only when the direction changed from clockwise to counterclockwise (but not the opposite). Occasionally it squeaks in both directions. I can replicate the sound by turning the agitator by hand and rapidly changing direction. The sound only occurs during agitation, there is no squeak during the spin cycle.

Based on some initial Googling, I was unable to come up with any obvious causes or fixes. Called GE tech support and they were unable to offer any help other than a local service provider.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kalsarikannit

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the tub seal. That's the only thing that can "squeak", I think.
ge-seal-tub-wh08x24594-ap5986402_01_l.jpg

Kalsarikannit

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. That one looks like it would be a PITA to replace. Will try to get a video/sound file with the squeak (tried to get one today rotating by hand, and of course it wasn't making it). Might help clarify squeak vs. screech vs. some other way of describing it.

I'm certainly not noticing any sort of leaking that I would associate with that seal starting to go (looks like that seal goes around the agitation/basket shaft and the tub, so I'm wondering if a leak/water in the bottom of the washer portion would confirm?)

Is it possible that maybe the nut on the basket side has loosened?

rickgburton

Staff member
Metal on metal would make a screech (like a worn brake). A squeak would be like metal on rubber. Sounds are not easy to diagnose online. Video might work but no promises. One of the other techs may be able to recognise the sound. We'll give it a go.

Kalsarikannit

Premium Member
This could be more of a screech then. Here's a decent clip (noise warning):

rickgburton

Staff member
That sounds like metal on metal. I can't think of what that would be. Can you pinpoint the noise?

Kalsarikannit

Premium Member
Not really. I've tried locating it during the cycle but can't get a good idea if it's on the bottom, back, or top. It does not sound particularly louder in any one area. Also sounds roughly the same whether empty (as shown in video) or actually in cycle.

It doesn't look like anything is rubbing on the bottom of the tub assembly to the cabinet housing, and I've tried removing tension from each suspension rod, but still cannot eliminate the sound.

It looks like underneath the agitator, there is a metal plate that attaches to the basket, could it be any of the drive shaft components (nut, washer, agitator attachment screw) slipping?

rickgburton

Staff member