• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE washer spin cycle not working

boosh626

Premium Member
Model Number
WSM2700T
Brand
GE
I have a GE "Spacemaker Laundry" (Stackable) model number WSM2700T about 9 years old. Yesterday it got to the spin cycle and stopped working.Turning the dial or push/pulling it on/of in different positions wont work. If you leave it in the on position for a while, the dial wont move (timer not working?) The washer will come to life for 10 seconds then off for 5 min. Today it filled with water initially then stopped working all together when it should start agitating. I moved the dial to the spin cycle in an attempt todrain the water. The washer would come on for 10 seconds draining the water then stop for around 5 min. Do I need to replace the timer? Could it be something else? I Want to make sure this is the problem before I plunk down money.

Thanks for you help

Chris

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

**WSM2700T**

That is part of a full model#.

-Sounds- more like the motor is not running and shutting off on it's built in safety device....needs colling down time to reset ( that 5 minutes ) before it will try to go again.

Bad motor, something jammed/seized up holding the motor back from running??

The washer front panal come off to have a peek...power off first!

This is the newest washer front,

Remove these screws and pull down on the front panel to remove it.

This is a break down of what you will see, the most common parts of the drive can be accessed from the front.

jeff.

boosh626

Premium Member
Hello,

sorry...full model number is WSM2700TAWWB

Ok...I took the front panel off and found my kids long lost sock but it was away from the motor sothats not the culprit. Belts are intact with no sign of obstruction. Pulling on the belts I can get the drum to spin. With the panel off I can hear better whats going on. I let it fill up again and when it came time to agitate,motorwould hum for 5 seconds then cut off. It would hum every minute...not 5 like I said before. So....not the timer after all? Bad motor?

Thanks so much,

Chris

Mad Mac

Appliance Tech
Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, U
Possible bad motor start capacitor and/or associated wiring, possible bad motor. You need to check whether voltage is getting to the motor start winding during that "hum".

This is a Friggidaire-manufactured unit - there should be a wiring diagram inside an envelope behind the sloping panel above the washer. Check it (even better, scan it and post it if you can!).

boosh626

Premium Member
OK, found the wiring diagrams but cant scan them. I think the motor is getting power...thats where the hum comes from. What should I do to be sure the motor is the problem? How complex is it to replace the motor? Iv'e never done that before but I'm real handy and good at stuff like that.

Thanks again

Chris

jeff1

Staff member
Hi all,

**What should I do to be sure the motor is the problem?**

The motor can be ohmed for continuity as per the wire diagram and can be checked for proper power coming to it by the same diagram. Check the start capacitor as MM mentioned.

http://www.applianceaid.com/micro4.html Ohm testing a capacitor.

**How complex is it to replace the motor?**

Fairly easy...4 bolts, belt is slipped off and wire harness is removed....but have band aids ready as Frigidaire often leaves sharp edges!!!!!!

Motor WH49X10032 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

jeff.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
boosh626 wrote:
found the wiring diagrams but cant scan them.
Does it list part number for any of the components used on the washer??

As Mad Mac has said, your laundry center was made by Frigidaire and just rebranded with the GE name.

Part numbers may also be stamped on the old parts (especially electrical ones) if not written on the wiring diagram/tech sheet. Frigidaire washer part numbers are usually 9 digits, all numbers, stating with the # 131... (but might be other formats as well but usually all numerical digits).

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

boosh626

Premium Member
Thanks Dan O, Jeff, and Mad Mac for your help. A couple of questions before I delve into replacing the motor....

The washer will fill up with water fine then not work. I advanced the dial to spin in an attempt to drain the water. The pump activated to drain the water but only for 5 seconds then cut off. It would come on again every min or so before cutting off again. The water eventually drained with this on/off cycle. Never any agitation or spin. Still thinking bad motor?

This washer/dryer unit is 9 years old. Before I plunk down $100+, what is the life span of this model? Should I just buy a new washer.

Thanks for the great help,

Chris

jeff1

Staff member
**This washer/dryer unit is 9 years old. What is the life span of this model?**

Not so much the model, but this design of an washer/dryer usually has a life of approx 8-12 years.

jeff.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
boosh626 wrote:
The pump activated to drain the water but only for 5 seconds then cut off. It would come on again every min or so before cutting off again. The water eventually drained with this on/off cycle.
I would think the pump should be on continually until fully drained but check the timer's timing chart on the machine's wiring diagram or checking to see if it was still getting getting power at the time it stops might also confirm a failure there. That shouldn't affect operation of the main motor either way though.

Never any agitation or spin. Still thinking bad motor?
The timer causing a problem in both the wash and spin cycles at the same time would be unusual IMO. The lid switch should only affect the spin cycle. The water level control, should only affect the wash cycle. As near as I can figure, that just leaves the motor.

Checking to see if the motor is getting power when it should be running will likely be necessary to confirm where the problem is. If it is getting power but not running, the motor is likely defective. If it was not getting power, maybe a problem in the wiring harness to it??

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~