• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Washer WCVH6400J0WW - won't run through cycles properly, error code 54

Status
Not open for further replies.

krredb

Premium Member
Model Number
WCVH6400J0WW
Brand
GE
Trying to help my mom fix her washer, front loader, model # in title. She called me up saying it wouldn't fill with water. The symptoms I observed are when attempting to start any cycle: the door locks, it makes a couple of faint clicks, then it sounds like the drain pump runs for a few minutes, the cycle timer counts down by 4, and then everything stops and the door unlocks. Every cycle is the same and it will just repeat this every time.

I put the machine into service mode, the water fill/level test works fine, everything involving spin/motor just gives two beeps, and the only error code listed is 54. Looking around online it seems people with this error code either have problems with the main control board, inverter, or motor. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Also, I found a post detailing how to test resistance on the motor, but is there a way for me to test and isolate either the main control board or inverter as well? All of these parts are expensive and I don't want to just throw a bunch of money swapping different parts. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's what Error Code 54 says:
Screenshot 2021-09-22 17.14.57.png

You may want to do the motor inverter test as Shawn mentions here: GE Front Loader Washer Motor and Inverter Testing

Look at post#2 here: Motor sensor of GE front load WBVH5300 washer

Then Shawn says this:
Test for 120V AC between the blue and white wires on the supply voltage harness.

The only time this voltage is present is if the main control is calling for the motor to run, so if you are not getting this voltage then the main control is bad. If you are getting voltage and the motor checks ok then the inverter is bad.

Here's the invertor for your model:
GE WH12X10418 Inverter-Plastic Case

Jake

krredb

Premium Member
Hi Jake, thanks for the help. I've finally got around to testing everything, just wanted to confirm my results.

Per the article you linked, I got about 6 ohms on all of the motor terminals, and all open to ground. So the motor should be good.
The resistance across the two yellow wires on the P9 connector was 117 ohms so the sensor appears to be good.
None of the tests listed run (t10, t11, there is no t14 on this machine). The machine just beeps once when I press the start button.
I tested for 120v at the supply voltage harness when attempting to run these tests, and got nothing. All of the text I see says blue and white wires, but the image shows blue and red, and there were only blue/red on my machine...so I'm guessing that's correct.

So it appears the main control board is bad.

Is it at all possible to test individual components on the board, or do I have to just replace the whole thing?

According to google the part number for this machine should be WH12X10468 and runs about $250.

Does everything check out? Thanks again.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I noticed that too, but it's clearly blue and red you should get 120 volts when the motor should be running and your not, so you nailed it, bad control board.:)

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
GE WH12X10468 Control Board Asm

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

krredb

Premium Member
Got the new board the other day, installed it and....had the exact same issues. Beeps when attempting to run the tests that would spin the drum, and no power at the blue/red plug. Only difference this time is there are no error codes reported.

Not sure what to do at this point. She is leaning towards just picking up a replacement washer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That control board should of fixed it, look here:
Read posts 4 and 5 and 9 and 10.

Did you buy the control board from my link to it above at AppliancePartsPros ?

Jake

krredb

Premium Member
I decided to give replacing the inverter a try, Everything works great now with the original control board and the replacement inverter.

Things I also noticed after replacement, but not sure how helpful they may be.
1. there is a distinct very high pitched coil whine with the working inverter installed that was not there before, my mom is over 60 and cannot hear it but I can. It's muted with all the panels installed, but still distinct. Not sure if this is present on all properly functioning inverters or indicative of any issue.
2. the machine goes into test mode to much faster. previously when I would hit the buttons to enter test mode it would be almost a minute until t01 was first displayed, now it's less than 10 seconds. I don't know if this is a result of self checks failing, but just something that stood out.

Not sure why the tests pointed the way they did, could be something I did wrong, but at this point we are grateful to have the machine working at ultimately at little cost other than time waiting for parts. Thanks again for your help going through the process.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not sure why the tests pointed the way they did, could be something I did wrong
Yes, that is odd, so you probably tested it wrong by accident, because the new control board should of fixed it per your voltage test you posted.:)

Glad to hear the invertor fixed it though.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.