FIXED GE Water Dispenser Line keeps freezing up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxen72

Premium Member
Model Number
TFX26KRDAWW
Brand
GE
Hi!

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator model TFX26KRDAWW.

The water line (located behind the dispenser) for the outside dispenser keeps freezing up! It started happening after the unit was about two years old.

When it first happened, I did the normal diagnostic checks of the refrigerator side reservoir, switch, etc. and finally diagnosed it as being the water line behind the dispenser that was frozen. In fact, the area where the water line rests was frozen solid.

I thawed it out and put the dispenser back together and it froze up again in less than a week. So, I thawed it out again and put some additional insulation in there and it lasted about six months before the water line froze yet again.

There is some kind of "heating" element on the back of the dispenser housing and it's a "little" warm to the touch. I was wondering how "warm" this should get and if the cause of the line freezing was this element failing.

I really don't know what else to do .... any ideas????

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A guess....how cold is the freezer temp?

There is some kind of "heating" element on the back of the dispenser housing and it's a "little" warm to the touch. I was wondering how "warm" this should get
Approx an 10-20 watt heater = not overly warm.

jeff.

Oxen72

Premium Member
It's set in the middle of the temp range.

I went out a bought some new (thicker than original) insulation today and really packed it in there along with a vapor barrier between the freezer door styrofoam and the new insulation.

I have my fingers crossed ....

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It's set in the middle of the temp range
Sorry....I meant acual temp in ºF or ºC.

I went out a bought some new (thicker than original) insulation today and really packed it in there along with a vapor barrier between the freezer door styrofoam and the new insulation.
That should help :)

jeff.

Chip

Premium Member
This is the exact same thing that is happening to me. I have a GSS22SGRE that started this about a week ago. It is also just over 2 years old. The freezer temp is around 0 degrees. I have thawed the line by opening the freezer door for about 15 minutes, but it re-freezes in a couple of days. I'd like to try the insulation thing Oxen72 tried, but don't know how to disassemble the dispenser. Other posts have said the front panel should snap off, but I don't want to break anything. Is there a repair manual or something that would give me more confidence?

Turbobill

Premium Member
Same freeze up problem

I have a GE refrigerator going on 3 years old. Same problem. Same question as last post, what does it take to open this up? I can remove the front cover, but I don't get to the water line inside toward the back (close to the inside of the freezer).

Background: I've thawed with hair dryer, then I've thawed the entire door for hours (shoved insulating cover in the opening), both times a couple of days later the water line is frozen again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chip

Premium Member
Try contacting GE customer service

I finally contacted GE last month, and so far they have been great working with me. It appears there's an insulation problem, and they are going to replace my door, but it is on backorder. I'll let you know the results.

Turbobill

Premium Member
Thanks for the update

I'll contact them. I had read elsewhere about someone's horrible experience with GE customer service over this issue, so I wasn't really inclined to do so. I'm glad to hear they are aware of the problem - at least have admitted so in your case. I wouldn't really care about a backorder as long as they'll do something about it.

Do let me know what happens to you.

Acrylonics

I'm glad I found this forum. I have the same problem with my GE side by side. After my own troubleshooting, I came to the conclusion that the water line to the dispenser was blocked somehow. After discovering this forum, I had to go no further on my own. I contacted GE customer service and set up an appointment with a tech. He arrived 2 days later and diagnosed the problem exactly as has been the case here. I did mention that I had read about this problem on this forum. The normal parts & labor charge for this problem would be $750.00. However, he said GE has been "concessioning" the freezer door in "many" cases. He scheduled a free delivery of a new door in one week. I only have to pay for the service call, ($90.00) and the labor to install the new door, ($165.00) Since I also have a rust stain traveling down the front of the door from the water dispenser anyway, I feel this is more than fair.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, thanks for sharing your experience with GE Service with everyone.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Ryland

Premium Member
My water dispenser freezes frequently then just starts working again. It seems to do it more frequently if the dispenser is set to ice instead of water or if the ice backs up in the back of the ice bucket blocking the arm.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whats the model# of yours Ryland? Is it the same as the other member here in this thread?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I located the service bulletin on this heater kit, I'm attaching it below. It will tell you.:)

Jake

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, glad to help.:)

Jake

doctorj

Premium Member
Now my water dispenser is freezing

I just pulled the hose off the bottom and water comes out there so it is definitely frozen. My model # is GSH25JSTASS. Is this a model that has the flawed door insulation or needs the heater kit installed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just pulled the hose off the bottom and water comes out there so it is definitely frozen. My model # is GSH25JSTASS. Is this a model that has the flawed door insulation or needs the heater kit installed?
You would need to contact GE as well to make sure your model can take this kit.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.