FIXED GE Water Dispenser Line keeps freezing up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete2455

Premium Member
Has anyone else tried this?? It works believe me. Saves time and $ of taking the door apart.

• Here's what I did: Go to Home Depot and buy a gallon plastic jug of ant spray or any insecticide with the sprayer and hose attached. Take the small plastic tubing used by the sprayer and then cut about 10 inches off and wash with soap and water. The plastic tubing is just a bit smaller than the diameter of the dispenser water tube. Defrost freezer door so the water tube is running. Then push the 10" piece of tubing up and into the water spout hose on the dispenser, leaving about 1/2" showing. I think the extra smaller tubing acts as an extra insulator preventing the water line freeze up. This worked for me and I have had no problems with the freezing water line since I did this.

Kevin Koontz

Rick, Good call on turning on the light Rick. The heat exchanger for the water dispenser line has solved the problem for me dozens of times. However, I have had a few "call backs" a month later- so anytime I install one, I'll recommend that the customer turn on the light regularly (just is case).

Pete, good call on the insulator tube- that sounds like a sure thing!

GE corrected that with the OEM main boards and Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns. has them for a great price with warranty!

Thanks for your time,
Kevin,

Pete2455

Premium Member
I have had no freeze up problems since inserting the insulator tube into the water dispenser tube. Works every time. I recommend this method to all who are experiencing the water tube freeze problem.

Rick1957

Premium Member
Guys, this is a good thread and I pretty much have had all the problems in several threads. Here is one thing I have found, when I looked where my 5/16 hose connecttion. Comes out at rear from the splitter valve the hose was dry rotted and broke. So I replaced it with a coupler, now looking further I found another hose that goes up through the frig at the same point as the one I just fixed. When I turn on the water dispenser in the front, water comes out of this second "clear" hose. I cannot see what it connects to, anyone know? Here is the picture of the coupled repair and the mystery hose.

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Rick I need your model number to look it up. The water line for your dispenser goes into the refrigerator section where it's stored in a reservoir or a large coil of water line. It then exits in the same spot and goes over to the lower freezer door hinge. There should be another coupler by the hinge in case the freezer door needs to be removed. That's probably the water line going to the freezer door.

Rick1957

Premium Member
Hey guys, mystery solved. I looked in the front and bottom of the refridge and saw the water line to the door and to the water dispenser and gave it a tug, well it came out and broken and brittle. So I now know where the line goes. So with a new line and coupler I think I can fix this finally. I will let you know the outcome.

rickgburton

Staff member
Make sure the line isn't sitting on or against the compressor or condenser coils. The heat is what makes it brittle. Make sure the condenser coils are clean also.

Rick1957

Premium Member
Hey guys, new problem. After fixing all the lines and getting the water to work. Now it no longer works. I ordered and installed the heater fix and can feel it is warm, but still no water. I can disconnect the hose from the coupler in the front where it goes into the door and I can get water out of there, so it is in the door somewhere. We turned off the freezer for about 1 hour and left the light on since I read that here as well. No water. So I guess I may be looking at taking the door apart? How bad is that?

Model Number: PSC23NGMDCC

rickgburton

Staff member
It shouldn't be too bad. Just the front of the dispenser needs to come off along with the door. It's easier with the door off. The water line will feed up through a channel or tube and come out at the dispenser. Use a razor to cut the line off when you're done feeding it through the door.

Rick1957

Premium Member
Rick, thanks. I am a bit confused, when I take off the front of the dispenser there is no access to the hose. The nossle is there, does that just pull out?

rickgburton

Staff member
You may have to remove the rest of the housing but I can't tell what style you have by looking at the parts diagram. Snap a few pictures and post them here.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, you'll need to remove #11, #91, #90, and #58. Check to make sure the ice door is closing all the way. If it's not, that's your problem.
Dispenser.jpeg

Cwolf

Jake,

I too, have a GE Artica Side By Side which is about 10 years old. Over the years the water has froze, but has always resolved itself in hours if not minutes. We use this water supply many times per day so it doesn't sit idil. The other day the water just stopped. I checked the connections and they all are ok. I followed the directions I saw posted on your sight and found that after disconnecting the quick connect under the freezer door, and a quick (2minute) warm up using a hair dryer, water runs freely from the line leading to the freezer door when the lever is pressed. It also seems to have plenty of water pressure. So I went on to the next step and spent over 30 minutes blowing hot air onto the freezer door and I raised the freezer temp to 7. Still nothing! Any suggestions. THANK YOU.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Cwolf, I need your model number first.

But you can see this thread is 8 years old, and you can see its been a major problem for thousands of people since 2005. GE used to replace the complete freezer door assembly but they stopped doing that some time ago. So if your still not getting water through the freezer door to your water dispenser, then you likely have some sort of other blockage than ice. And you will likely need to replace the water line tubing in the freezer door.

So post your model number I can look it up for you.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: Help me find my model number.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Once you disconnect the dispenser parts and unhook the line, pull it through the bottom and feed the new line the opposite direction. Don't try to do it with the door on or you'll have trouble. Take it off and lay it on a flat surface. The water line follows a tube/Chanel to the dispenser.

4john

Premium Member
Has anyone else tried this?? It works believe me. Saves time and $ of taking the door apart.
It does work. I too had this problem. After figuring out that it kept freezing just behind my dispenser GE GSH25JSXBSS refrigerator. I found somewhere on line a similar cheap solution that did work. I used an 8" piece of a grass trimmer line ( o.o65). After having defrosted the problem with a hair dryer, simply insert the line down the water spout leaving 1/2" sticking out. Leave it there from then on. Please wash it well before doing so. This will prevent it from freezing up just behind the dispenser. You'll barely notice it sticking out. I recommend using a clear colored line, less noticeable. Its never frozen since.

Status
Not open for further replies.