FIXED GE Water Dispenser Line keeps freezing up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJChenMPH

Premium Member
Hi -- new member here. I have the heating element in hand and went to install it this weekend per the YouTube video instructions.

However, after removing all four screws holding the plastic assembly to the freezer door, it appears to be stuck fast in the lower right corner. I can wiggle it side-to-side a little bit (and see the screw hole behind the assembly stay in place as the assembly itself moves side-to-side), but the assembly itself seems to be secured in there using an adhesive or something. Any ideas on how to break it loose without damaging anything?

Thanks in advance...

Andy

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

AJChenMPH

Premium Member
#58. Despite removing the four screws that hold it in, it's held fast to the rest of the freezer door by something in the lower right corner.

Thanks...

Chris_in_VT

We've had this same issue continually. A nice low-impact tip that minimizes the frequency of freezing, with near-zero effort: Go to the supermarket meat counter and get 1 or 2 large styrofoam trays - like 10" x 12" x 1/4" thick. Cut it in 2 pieces about 5x10 and 7x10. Open the freezer door, and trim 2 corners of the 5X7 so it fits nicely on the inside wall of the door - on the inclined part, behind the ice/water buttons. Using 2" clear packing tape, tape the 5X10" in place. Then tape the 7x10" piece on the vertical wall underneath the 5X10 piece, overlapping the 2 pieces so they fit against each other as snugly as practical. (Of course, tape all the way around the styrofoan, so there's an airtight seal.) It's been ~3 years now and that has eliminated ~80% of the freezing issue.

Then when it freezes (like it inexplicably did this afternoon... WTF??), defrosting is easy. Turn off the fridge, put duct tape over the freezer door switch, and fold up a big blanket so it's as wide as the freezer opening. Hang it down the front of the freezer with a weight on top to hold it in place (we use the tea kettle) and tuck it in. Typically thaws in ~90 min. (Taping the button let's you check to see if it's thawed while the blanket is still in place.)

Last edited:

AJChenMPH

Premium Member
By the way...anyone know what is the wattage of the dispenser light (part #56 in the pic that Rick posted above in post #65)? I tried a 4W night light bulb, but that didn't work...thanks.

Starr 208

Premium Member
having same issue

So I have a 12 year old GE that the water line is now regularly freezing up. It also seems like the freezer is running alot colder than normal. I've checked the thermistors, baffle door between fidge and freezer, coils are not frozen, condenser fan all working seemingly correct. Any suggestions??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the model number of your GE?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I located a thread that Jeff helped you with for the "freezer too cold" problem: GE side x side freezer too cold

That was a month ago, if you checked your thermistors and damper assembly and those are fine, then it has to be a bad motherboard, he did post that as well in that thread, other than that, nothing else would cause this problem. And that would also cause the water line in the freezer door to freeze up.

Jake

Starr 208

Premium Member
Thanks Jake...I replaced the motherboard approx 4 yrs ago when everything just went "warm." Is it common for motherboard to go bad again???

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, it sure is. That's why when people ask me what the least repaired refrigerator I can recommend to them, I always say just the basic Whirlpool that has the control knobs, not the models that have the touchpads and control boards.:)

GE used to be good in 1970's and early 80's but has gone downhill since.

Jake

Starr 208

Premium Member
It is sad. I worked for a mom and pop appliance store for 15 years before becoming a full time fireman. it is sad to see appliance quality go downhill. Thanks again for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, its the same with Cars, GM has had tons of recalls in the last couple years, seems it has a lot to do with stagnant wages these big companies are implementing on their employees. If you want good quality merchandise you got to keep giving your employees raises and I don't mean little tiny raises either.

Jake.

mailer

Premium Member
GE side X side model GSS25wgpcww. 2003 model

Purchased GE ref. 11/03, model GSS25WGPCWW and about 5 years ago started to see sporadic water dispenser freezing at times. Would put boiling hot water in the dispenser area and let the steam defrost the blockage and would be good for a week or two and then I would have to start over again. In the beginning it would only freeze in the colder weather when the house was cooler but as time went by, it started to freeze in the summer and winter. Replaced the door recess assembly (flapper) which was warped on one side, maybe from a lump of ice which lodged in the tunnel. GE part number WR17x11653 and now no more frost accumulation by the ice maker. I should have taken care of this years ago as I retired from GE Major Appliance Business Group in '81 after being in the Major Appliance since '59.

mailer

Premium Member
Check the door access assembly (flapper) and it may be warped. Just changed mine for the same problem (2003 GE model) and found the rubber gasket was warped allowing a small amount of air going into the freezer and a small amount of frost accumulating by the ice maker. Part # WR17X11653 for model #GSS25WGPCWW refrigerator. see my post below.

Status
Not open for further replies.