GE WJRE5500G0WW Top Loader Won't Agitate or Spin

WhirlpoolEric

Premium Member
Model Number
WJRE5500G0WW
Brand
GE
My GE top load washer won't agitate or spin. I defeated the lid switch by putting the two wires together with a wire nut. This did not help.

The washer goes through all the steps ending at the spin - but it is not actually agitating or spinning when it should be. The drive belt is connected and looks good. I can spin the tub by hand and it seems to spin freely. I do not hear the motor humming or making any noise when it should be.

Any suggestions on how to tell if this is the controls or the motor? Like, which connector on the motor is the one where I should have voltage when it should be agitating or spinning?

Thanks,
Eric

WhirlpoolEric

Premium Member
Guys,

I'm sorry to admit it but I don't know for sure the last few characters of the model number on this washer. I looked at the RepairClinic guide on finding the model number. And, I see a tag under the lid. But, unfortunately, it is smeared and I can't read it.

The appliance place I bought this from told me it is a WJRE5500GWW. I bought it in 2008. So, maybe that's right.

But, in looking at the appliance parts websites, it looked like maybe the model number should end in G0WW, or G1WW, or G2WW.

Any help is appreciated,
Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Eric,

I haven't worked on these GE models as of yet, but Shawn has a good webpage that may explain this issue and what to check for here: HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

As an Example: 4 flashes - Mode shifter circuit failed. If this error code comes up the motor will still operate but if the mode shifter circuit has failed the washer will not agitate properly. To check the mode shifter, first start the washer. Then when the washer starts agitating, look at the tub from the outside. If the whole inside tub is turning back and forth while in agitate, the mode shifter is bad.

If the mode shifter is not bad then clear the code as described below and if the code reoccurs replace the motor. See the section on how to check the sifter coil below for more on this.

To clear the error code, turn the washer off. Then disconnect power for about 20 seconds. Next, reconnect power then open and close the lid five or more times within 12 seconds in the first 30 seconds of power-up.

Since your motor is not operating at all, then clear the error code, and if the error code reoccurs replace the motor.

I checked all of those model numbers you listed at the end, and they all use the exact same motor.

Here's the motor for your model you can order:
Drive Motor WH20X10058 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Let us know what you find.

Jake

WhirlpoolEric

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks for the help. Great info. I have an Error 4 which won't clear. We decided to buy a new floor model Maytag for only about $80 more than the replacement motor.

I really appreciate your help and have recommended your excellent website.

Thanks,
Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Eric, sounds good.:)

Thanks for the update and recommendation our of site.:)

Jake