FIXED GE XL44 igniter won't turn on

djbillyd

Premium Member
Model Number
XL44
Brand
GE
I replaced a broken igniter with a brand new one. When I initially plugged it up, it lit up. I unplugged it and proceeded to install it. I removed the quick connect and the wiring to the gas valve, and connected the igniter, with new connectors to the gas valve connection (the existing wiring broke off at the gas valve, so I removed the clip connect and went directly to the valve). When it didn't light up, I tested it for continuity, and it Ohmed out to zeroes. But I get no voltage at the gas valve. When does it become charged, or should it always have voltage there?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the complete model number first. Read it from the model number tag on the range.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Your suppose to test voltage to the oven glow bar igniter first, when you first turn the oven on bake 350 you should be getting 120 volts to the oven glow bar igniter, then it will glow orange then it will light the gas within 60 seconds.

Take the oven glow bar igniter electrical connector off and put your meter probes in it and turn the oven on bake 350 and see if your meter reads 120 volts.

Jake

djbillyd

Premium Member
I got it. The wiring was incorrect. I had to remove the back in order to get the wiring right. But I got it. I was gonna put it to rest this afternoon. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad that was all it was.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake