• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE XL44 oven won't light.

tabasco813

Premium Member
Model Number
JGBS23BEW4AD
Brand
GE
I was in the middle of baking pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving when my oven stopped working.

It is a free standing gas range GE XL44 Model number JGBS23BEW4AD. It was working one minute and not the next.

I took out the bottom panel and did not see anything wrong (but I'm a cook not a tech), it did not make any sounds when the dial was turned on and/or adjusted and there was not any gas smell.

Stove top burners work just fine.

Please help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The way I test it is put my volt meter leads in that connector that goes to your oven igniter glow bar, when the oven is on you should get 120 volts on the volt meter. If you do and the igniter glow bar isn't coming on, then you have a bad oven igniter glow bar.

If you don't have a volt meter, you can get a cheap one at Radio Shack.

To get access to the oven igniter glow bar electrical connector, I take out the bottom storage drawer completely then get a flashlight or floodlight to see under there, and then I can see the oven igniter glow bar connector.

Here's the oven igniter glow bar for your model in case you need to order it:
GE WB13K21 Range Oven Igniter

Let me know how it goes.

Jake

tabasco813

Premium Member
Fixed!

Jake, Thanks for the help. You suggested to replace the igniter and I did. It was around $45 and only took about 20 minutes to replace. The oven works perfectly now! Thanks again.

:D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent tabasco813, good job.:)

Jake

Zman70

Premium Member
I had the same problem and thanks for the info on the problem. I got a GE Original replacement off Ebay and the connector was different so I just butt spliced it together with the standard plastic blue ones. The connector is back behind the oven were the original connection was. You think this will be ok? Or should I get some Porcelain Wire Connectors?

Also. Does this part stay glowing the entire time gas is on ? After I had it on for a few minutes it was still glowing

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You really need the ceramic wire nuts.

Also. Does this part stay glowing the entire time gas is on ? After I had it on for a few minutes it was still glowing
Yes, it will stay glowing while the gas is on.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job.:)

Jake