• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GEW9200LW0 Whirlpool duet "senses" but won't start

skeeter0828

Premium Member
Model Number
GEW9200LW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello, I'm new to this site. When I load and turn on my dryer and press Start the sensor light lights up but the dryer won't start up and run. I read in the manual that it can take up to 10 minutes to sense a wet load on both Auto and Manual; I tried both settings and neither one works. It was working perfectly and this occurred suddenly. I removed a load that had just finished drying and reloaded it with a wet load and...nothing. Any thoughts? I bought this washer/dryer set used a few years ago and love them, they have never skipped a beat so I hate to ditch it if it is something minor. Thanks in advance from this Ms. Fix It!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Be sure the dryer is in Standby Mode (plugged in and all indicators off). Press the following button sequence: MORE TIME ➔ LESS TIME ➔MORE TIME ➔ LESS TIME - all within 5 seconds. All indicators on the console are illuminated with “88” showing in the “ESTIMATED TIME REMAINING” (two-digit) display, if this test mode has been entered successfully.

If E1 or E2 flashes in the display there’s a problem with the thermistor.

Opening the door should cause a beep tone and a number and letter to be indicated in the two-digit display. Closing the door firmly should cause a beep tone and the display to go blank (or indicate “88”).

Touch the Start keypad. The Status LEDs should turn off, the heater and motor should turn on, and the display should read a 2-digit project ID code.

skeeter0828

Premium Member
I did as you directed. After I entered test mode 3E flashed. What does that indicate? Then when I touched the keypad the heater and motor did not turn on and the 2 digit code "02" was displayed. I think my old girl is dead...

rickgburton

Staff member
If E3 flashes in the display it usually indicates a bad control. Unplug the machine and remove the top panel. Remove the two screws behind the top panel then lift up and slide off. The electronic control is located on the left side near the top. Remove the electronic control and bracket assembly. Remove the electronic control from the bracket and turn it over. You'll probably see a burned spot by the motor or heater relays. Replace the electronic control. If you don't see a burned spot on the control, check the thermal fuse before replacing the control. The thermal fuse is located on the blower housing and can be accessed by removing the lower panel (2 screws).
Main Control Board WP8546219
Main-Control-Board-8546219--00707668.jpg

Thermal Fuse WP3390719
Thermal-Fuse-3390719-00630765.jpg

JoeV

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

I have the same problem. I read several of the blogs in here. I did the test and got the 88. When open the door it beep and got the 3E. Touched the humidity sensor and did a long beep. When closing the door got the 88 again. When pressed start it did not turn on the heater nor the motor and got a 07 code. What would be the next step? Thank you

JoeV

rickgburton

Staff member
Access the machine control electronics and measure the resistance across P1-3 and P1-4. If resistance across P1-3 and P1-4 is in the range of 2 to 4 ohms replace the machine control electronics.
Control Board WP8546219
Control-Board-WP8546219-00707667.jpg

JoeV

Premium Member
First question: Do I test the P1-3 and P1-4 from the cables (Light blue and blue) or from the electronic board?

Second: My multimeter produces a sound when there is continuity. When I tested P1-3 and P1-4 from the cables, there was the sound. This means the machine control electronics is dead? Because, When I tested P1-3 and P1-4 in the electronic board there was no sound. Look forward to your answer.

Thank you

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, P1-3 to P1-4 (in the connector) is the motor circuit. If the meter indicates 2-4Ω ( motor windings) the thermal fuse is good (closed) and the belt switch is good (closed). If the motor circuit is good the control board is not sending the necessary 120 VAC to the motor, assuming the door is closed and the door switch is good.

daudetj

Be sure the dryer is in Standby Mode (plugged in and all indicators off). Press the following button sequence: MORE TIME ➔ LESS TIME ➔MORE TIME ➔ LESS TIME - all within 5 seconds. All indicators on the console are illuminated with “88” showing in the “ESTIMATED TIME REMAINING” (two-digit) display, if this test mode has been entered successfully.

If E1 or E2 flashes in the display there’s a problem with the thermistor.

Opening the door should cause a beep tone and a number and letter to be indicated in the two-digit display. Closing the door firmly should cause a beep tone and the display to go blank (or indicate “88”).

Touch the Start keypad. The Status LEDs should turn off, the heater and motor should turn on, and the display should read a 2-digit project ID code.
Rick, I'm having the same issue where the dryer will not start either in Sensing Mode or Timed mode. When I try to start it the sensing light comes on but the dryer does not start. I just went through this procedure and the heater and motor did not turn on and "02" is diplayed (project code?). Up until a couple days ago the dryer was working with the exception that in "Sensing Mode" the dryer would shut off before clothes were dry. I did the moisture sensor diagnostic and it failed. Not sure where to go from here and would appreciate some help.