• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GEW9200LW1 Whirlpool Dryer overheating

JWMETZGER

Premium Member
Model Number
GEW9200LW1
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool Duet Dryer is overheating. I replaced the element and the thermostats. I took a photo of the wiring before I removed the parts, but I don't think that the photos are good enough. I turned on the dryer and it seems the same temperature at any setting except no heat. And the temperature seems excessive. I am concerned about how I placed the wires when I reinstalled the pieces. I have looked everywhere for a good diagram. The wires to the element itself have the red with white stripe on the bottom and the solid red on the top. The others have the black on the top and the red on the bottom. Are the connection the same or is there an up and down.

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

DEW9200LW1 doesn't pull up as good, please recheck your model number, its located inside the door.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

So on AIR DRY/NO HEAT setting its not heating at all? But the other cycles are heating good? Just all the same heat temp?

I'd first ohm test the thermistor at room temperature.

At room temperature or 70*F the thermistor should show between 11.5K and 11.9K ohms (11,500 -11,900 ohms).

Normal thermistor resistance values:
60 degrees F. - 15.3K ohms.
70 degrees F. - 11.9K ohms.
80 degrees F. - 9.2K ohms.

Here's the thermistor for your model:
Thermistor WP8577274

Make sure you unplug your dryer first and keep it unplugged when ohm testing.

This video shows how to access it:

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.