FIXED GEW9250PL1 Whirlpool Duet Dryer just beeps once.

ThumperDelta

Premium Member
Model Number
GEW9250PL1
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool Duet dryer, model GEW9250PL1

I ran diagnostic tests and everything on the panel works, the motor and heater did not engage. I get a 6E code and a 09 when touching the sensors. When I hit start with the door open I get 3 beeps When I close the door, hit start it beeps once and acts like it "should be" working, but no other sounds after that. The sensing light stays on steady.
To me it seems like the motor is down, but I thought there should be some kind of test to determine that. The last time it was working, I heard it making a hard thumping noise like if you have shoes in it. But turns out it was just a oversized clothing load. The clothes didn't finish drying, but they were still hot when I pulled them out.

Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Error code 6E is usually a bad door switch, you can ohm test it per the instructions below.

We've had a few members report door switch problems with the same error code 6E, here's one: FIXED GEW9250PL0 My dryer turns on but does not start

You can ohm check it for continuity with a multimeter to make sure.

Here's that door switch for your model:
WP8283288 Door Switch

It shows a video on how to access/replace it when you click the link to that door switch. Make sure your dryer is unplugged!

Push the button in on the door switch with one meter probe on COM and the other meter probe on NO and see if it reads anything on your multimeter.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

ThumperDelta

Premium Member
I will check the switch tomorrow. But just curious, if it were the switch, should the behavior be the same? I mean, if the door is open I get 3 beep iff I hit start, but if closed it's only one beep.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
if the door is open I get 3 beep iff I hit start, but if closed it's only one beep.
I'm not sure, but I'd ohm test the door switch first at any rate.

Also you mentioned that thumping noise from the oversized clothing load, that could of broke you drum belt, and if the drum belt breaks the dryer will not start either, because there is a broken belt switch that your idler pulley activates.

So if your door switch ohm tests good, check your drum belt next, if the drum belt is good, Check the broken belt switch for continuity.

Here's the drum belt for your model:
661570V Belt

Here's the broken belt switch for your model:
279782 Broken Belt Switch Kit

There is a video included in the part link to show you how to access it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

ThumperDelta

Premium Member
Whew, ok that was fun, not.

I have it all taken apart.
The door switch tested out fine.
Continuity switches to the other pole when the switch is open.

The belt is still intact.
When I manually turn the drum, the blower blades/motor turns. How can I test the motor itself with my meter?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The one on the left is your thermal fuse, remove the two wires from it and ohm test it.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order here if needed:
Thermal Fuse WP3392519

Watch this video to ohm test it:

Jake

ThumperDelta

Premium Member
Ok, so now I'm getting somewhere. The thermal fuse on the left does NOT have continuity, so it's bad.

The one to the right of it shows 12.59 ohm resistance.

3 questions:
1-Can the blown thermal fuse prevent the motor from coming on?

2-is the sensor/fuse to the right of it ok with 12.59ohm resistance but not reading continuity? And can it prevent motor operation?

3-if the a way to test the motor independently from the dryer?

I have a Variac and a full function multimeter.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bingo! That's the problem.(y)

1-Yes, the motor will not come on when its blown.
2-Yes, its within range.
3-Just bypass the thermal fuse FOR TESTING ONLY, then the motor should come on. Use a alligator clip to bypass it. Don't let the wires touch anything metal or you'll have another fireworks show today. :eek:

Make sure your exhaust pipe going to your outside of the house is clean and clear, also check where it vents to the outside for lint build-up. That's the number 1 reason the thermal fuse blows.:)

Jake

ThumperDelta

Premium Member
Awesome!
While I'm this deep in it, I'm cleaning up everything I can and for that 2 of the drum roller wheels have seen better days. Could you send me the part # for those?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know how it goes.

Jake

ThumperDelta

Premium Member
Ladies and gentlemen! Drumroll please!!! We have a winner! It worked. It was the Thermal Fuse. We'll done sir! Thank you for saving me a serious chunk of change. And considering I cleaned it out thoroughly and replaced every worn part in there in the process, this sucker may just out live me. I now also have a greater understanding of the unit too. To give it a extra shot I drilled a new vent location, reducing the degree of turns from 405° of flexy tube turns into a single 45° turn of hard tube. It's as close to sexy as dryers get!!! Thank you so much for your patience and help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Thumper, good job.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake