• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GEW9250PW0 Whirlpool duet dryer stuck in sensor mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksligh

Premium Member
Model Number
GEW9250PW0
Brand
Whirlpool
My dryer looks fine until you press start. Then it clicks and the sensor light comes on. When we turn the dial (heavy duty, delicate etc) the light stays on the top which is Heavy duty, it no longer follows the dial.

I've seen other posts like this but they are talking about error message and things that I don't see anywhere on my dryer. Thanks, Kurt

ksligh

Premium Member
I read about all of the diagnostic tests and ohm test and really don't know where to start. If anyone could give me a push in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I removed the panel below the door and the panel on top of the dryer but I don't see anything that would show me an error message.

Last edited:

ksligh

Premium Member
I also found the motherboard on the top left as facing the dryer.

The letters PF popped up on the screen the has the time remaining.

ksligh

Premium Member
OK, this is my last post :) , just trying to get any info out here that I can.

I only saw the PF one time (out of 30 or more tries). The rest os the time it's just got the number for Time left.

I've got the back off not too and cleaned everything out good. There are a lot of plugs back there so I guess any of them are suspect.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Lets first check the control board.

Unplug the machine and remove the top panel (2 screws on back of panel). Lift the back of the top panel and slide it out from under the console. The control board is located on the left side near the top. Remove the control board and bracket then look on the backside of the board and see if there is a burn mark. If so, that's the bad part.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
Main Control Board WP8546219

If your control board does NOT have a burn mark on it, then we need to ohm test the thermal fuse. Do you have a multimeter?

Jake

ksligh

Premium Member
I checked the control board fron and back...there are no burn marks on it anywhere. Yes, I went out and bought a multimeter.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

You would need to take off the lower front access panel under your door, then take off the duct assembly#45 here: Parts for Whirlpool GEW9250PW0: Bulkhead Parts By removing the two #11 screws.

The thermal fuse is #59 in that same parts diagram link.:)

Unplug or turn the breaker off to your dryer first before opening it up and ohm testing.

The thermal fuse sits next the white thermistor on the top of your blower wheel housing. Then remove the 2 wires from the thermal fuse before you ohm test it.:)

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order here if needed:
WP3392519 Dryer Thermal Fuse

Here's the video on how to ohm test it: Thermal Fuse Ohm Testing Video

If your thermal fuse is fine next check your door switch.

We've had a few members report door switch problems.

You can ohm test it for continuity to make sure.

Here's that door switch for your model:
Door Switch WPW8283288

It shows on Page 4-6 in your repair manual I posted a link to below how to access it to check/change it. Make sure your dryer is still unplugged!

Push the button in on the door switch with one meter probe on COM and the other meter probe on NO and see if it reads.(Should have continuity(0-1 ohm) between white wire and blue wire when switch is pushed in.)

The blue wire is NO and the white wire is COM on the door switch. Make sure your dryer stays unplugged when testing.

If the door switch ohm tests good, then ohm test the broken belt switch.

Check the broken belt switch for continuity.

279782 Broken Belt Switch Kit

There is a video in the broken belt switch part link that shows how to access/replace it.

Here is the online repair manual for the Whirlpool Duet dryer: https://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/Duetdry.pdf

It shows how to get access to the control board & console panel keypad assembly on page 4-2 through 4-4 of the repair manual.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

ksligh

Premium Member
I replaced the door switch, one of the moisture bars, the thermal fuse and the thermister. It still has the same problem. When you press the start switch it goes to sensing mode.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you ohm test the door switch and broken belt switch?

Remember, if you don't ohm test parts you will be replacing parts for no reason.:)

If your door switch and broken belt switch ohm test good, then it can only be a bad control board causing this problem.

Jake

ksligh

Premium Member
I removed the broken belt switch and tested at the ends. I shows zero.

You said it must be the main board if it's not any of these other parts. Is that likely even though there are no burns?

Thanks for all of the help. Kurt

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You said it must be the main board if it's not any of these other parts. Is that likely even though there are no burns?
Yes Kurt that's correct.

On the main control board measure the voltage between P1-5 and P1-2. Is it 120 Volts AC?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Then order and replace the control board I posted the link to in post #5 and you should be good to go.:)

Jake

ksligh

Premium Member
Jake, yes i ordered it and replaced it. We are now back in action. Unfortunately when I originally looked at the mother board I didn't see any burn marks, but when i got the replacement and looked again I saw a faint burn. If I would have looked closer the first time this may not have dragged on so long.

Jake, thanks for your longsuffering and subject matter expertise.

Close this down, we are done.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Kurt, glad to hear the new control board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.