• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GFDN100EL0WW Not Turning On

cmroz

Premium Member
Model Number
GFDN100EL0WW
Brand
GE
Hello,
I have a GE GFDN100EL0WW that is about 4 years old.
About two months ago it started acting strange, not finishing a cycle, and sometimes turning off 1 second after the start button was pressed. This was an intermittent problem - I hoped a fluke. I would unplug it and then next time I did a load it was fine. Eventually it stopped turning on. From what I've learned this has 'motor related problem' written all over it, but I never heard the telltale humming or buzzing when trying to start.

I did some reading and decided to open it up to see what I could find out. I tested all of the thermistors, controls, and fuses for continuity. The inlet control thermistor and the outlet control thermistor tested bad. These are a relatively easy (and cheap) fix.

My question is this: do the symptoms make sense with what I've found, or am I still likely looking at replacing the motor?
I also checked the manual and unfortunately didn't find anything about a test or diagnostic mode.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

IMG_8530.JPG

Thanks for reading!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Most likely just the thermistors. Measure the resistance of the motor windings. Within range=good motor Values should be on your tech sheet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

cmroz

Premium Member
Thanks Rick and Jake. I ordered the parts and will try replacing them when they arrive tomorrow. I'd like to test the motor windings too before I put everything back together again. I don't have any experience doing that - any direction you guys can point me in that will help me figure it out?

I studied the tech sheet but either the info is not listed, or I don't know what I'm looking for (most likely the second option)

Here is the sheet:
512699208.888240.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
It's not listed on your tech sheet. I think your motor's fine. The problem is the thermistors.

You can bench test the motor if you want. M4 and M5 are the test cord connections.

Last edited:

Rogercarp

Premium Member
I have a the similar dryer GFDN110EL. When you press start the display counts down, but the dryer does not come on. I think it may be stuck in a demo mode. Do you have any idea how to get it out pd this mode?

rickgburton

Staff member
Locate your tech sheet. It's probably behind the console. It doesn't sound like a demo mode issue so follow the steps for test mode.

Rogercarp

Premium Member
The tech sheet does not give any directions on how to go to test mode. It only has info about what to do when you are in test mode

rickgburton

Staff member
Rogercarp, look on your tech sheet again. If it has what to do in test mode it must have how to enter test mode.