FIXED GFDN110EL0WW Fast Timer and Service Mode? Any Help Appreciated!

Diynewb

Premium Member
Model
GFDN110EL0WW
Brand
GE
Hi everyone,

Problem:
Everything seems fine but when I choose a cycle and press start, there is no movement/noise/heat at all. Nothing happens. The timer just runs down very quickly (about 1 second for each minute in the cycle. This is an electronic timer with led)

Checked:
Door switch is fine
All Thermistors are in range (170k ohm in the cold basement)
All Thermostats have continuity
Belt switch has continuity when measure while idler arm was held in place by the holding slot on the motor mount

Question:
1) What could be causing this?
2) Does anybody know how to access the service test mode on this unit? (Control boards and power boards are both expensive. I’d rather make an educated purchase than wind up buying both!)

Thanks for any help you can give!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Diynewb

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Unfortunately the instructions don’t apply to my model. I can’t execute the service test sequence since I have no “delay start” button on my model dryer.

I tried alternating the signal button with some of the other buttons instead to no avail.

Any other ideas? Thanks Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Then you will need a multimeter to check voltages.

Pull your dryer out from the wall, then remove the terminal block cover where your power cord connects to the dryer. Then put your multimeter on Volts AC and measure between the TWO OUTER TERMINALS and see if your meter reads 240 volts.

If so, Locate CN100 on the control board by the motor relay and measure the voltage between the white wire and the black wire. Is it 120 Volts AC?

Here's the wiring diagram:
(click to enlarge)
IMG_1555.jpg

Jake

Diynewb

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for your reply!

Measurements:
250AC across outer terminals under terminal block cover
130AC across CN100 white and black pair

So the voltages seem to be in line with what you expected.

Just to be clear, the control panel lights up as if everything is fine and the dials and buttons all select options and light up appropriately. The problem is when I press start, nothing happens and the timer runs down quickly (about 1 sec for each minute.. .doesn't matter which cycle I choose). If I keep the door open, then I can't even start the cycle.... it won't let me..... so the door switch and dryer tub light all work as expected. (Measurements of thermistors and thermostats seem correct.. measured values are in original post)

For what it's worth, shortly before the craziness of the fast countdown timer, i wasn't able to start a cycle at all. Everything lit up and worked, but when I pressed start it would give a double-beep as if I wasn't allowed to start the dryer (e.g. when the dryer door is open the double beep happens too). After fiddling around with the buttons and trying all sorts of things in conjunction with the door switch, I would up with the fast timer scenario here. In all cases, the dryer motor and heater never activated.

There's also a very light buzzing sound coming from the power board when the unit is turned on if I put my ear closer to it, but I'm not sure if that's out of the ordinary. Nothing looks burnt or shorted or leaking. Everything is clean on the board.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Diynewb

Premium Member
Thanks Bigbuck. This sheet was present in the dryer. Unfortunately it says “enter service mode” for one of the steps without actually describing how to do it. Haha

Appreciate the help anyway!

Any other ideas?

Diynewb

Premium Member
Yes. That’s what the dryer looks like. I appreciate you taking the time to post the picture!

If there’s no way to run a diagnostic on this model, that’s a bummer.

I’m guessing it’s either the power board or the front panel since the switches, thermostats, and thermistors were measured and working. Since the front panel beeps and works, perhaps I should try replacing the power board first?

Or is there something else I should consider?

(Also, how in the world will I program a new board if there’s no way to enter service mode?!)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its your power board that's bad. I posted the link to it in post #2 above.

Here's another member that had this same problem on his GE dryer, which is similar to your model: FIXED: DHDVH52GF0WW Adora gas Dryer will not start And the new power board fixed his.:)

Let us know how it goes.

(Also, how in the world will I program a new board if there’s no way to enter service mode?!)
On the tech. data sheet bigbuck posted(thanks bigbuck!) it says it will automatically recognize the model and program itself.:)

Jake

Diynewb

Premium Member
Wow. Amazing find Jake. It matches the symptoms exactly! (And believe me I Googled a ton... couldn't find anything close anywhere else.)

I'll try getting the power board... will let you guys know.

Thank you Jake and Bigbuck!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes please let us know.:)

Jake

Diynewb

Premium Member
I replaced the power board and everything works perfectly now.

Thank you so much for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Diynewb, glad to hear the new power board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake