• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GFDS265GF1RR GE Dryer squealing noise

mike208

Premium Member
Model Number
GFDS265GF1RR
Brand
GE
I believe the belt or motor/bearing is squealing because it sounds like the RPM of the sound is faster when compared to the RPM the drum is spinning at. I hope that makes sense.
I have had other issues with this unit over the last 5 years. Takes too long to dry (3 hours)....clothes are damp...if I try to continue drying the damp clothes the dryer shuts off automatically no matter what cycle I choose (eg: time dry or speed dry)...forget about doing a load of all towels, they never dry.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The squealing noise can be the rollers or idler pulleys. However it might be the motor .
mike208 said:
Takes too long to dry (3 hours).....
This was probably the start of your problem. 99% of dryability issues are caused by a blocked vent or vent hose. When that happens all the lint that gets past the lint filter gets blown into the dryer cavity and is attracted to the spinning motor. It builds up in the motor and acts like insulation causing the motor to heat up. When the motor gets too hot it opens the overload on the motor and the motor won't start until it cools long enough to close the overload. The heat also damages the motor. Take the dryer apart and clean out the dryer cavity, motor, and blower housing. The rollers and idler pulleys should spin freely on their shafts. Do not use any lubricants on dryer parts or you'll make things worse. Clean the shafts and inside of the rollers and pulleys with steel wool. There shouldn't be any play in the rollers and pulleys on the shafts. Check the belt for any
pieces missing. A bunch of cracks in the belt is normal. Clean out the vent hose and outside vent then try the machine. If the motor continues to squeal or shuts off, you'll need to replace it.

mike208

Premium Member
Problem is fixed...Thank You rickgburton!
I removed the top and front panels and found lint throughout the entire machine. Vacuumed out all lint, removed rollers/pulleys and cleaned shafts with steel wool, inspected belt and found ok, reassembled machine and cleaned the duct. Ran about 10 loads and dryer works great! Squealing noise is gone and clothes dry much faster.
Thanks again!