• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GFE28GMKLES GE refrigerator with electrical problems

robrpb

Premium Member
Model Number
GFE28GMKLES
Brand
GE
My cousin's GE refrigerator is having problems. He said the lights in both the freezer and refrigerator sometimes don't work and water won't dispense from the door when this happens. He added, the when water doesn't come out a light comes on that says not filtering. He has a filter bypass becuase the water line is connected to his R/O system. Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

robrpb

Premium Member
My cousin gave me additional information saying that at least once the temperature for both the refrigerator and freezer reset to their highest settings and he had to reset them to lower temperatures.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rob,

That's very odd, I've not run into that problem before on any of my customers GE models like this.

Hopefully another tech that has can shed some light on this for us.

But you may want to have him check the wiring that comes into the door at the top under the door hinge cover, for a loose connection. Have him unplug the refrigerator first, then unplug and reset all the wire connectors and see if that solves it.

Jake

robrpb

Premium Member
My cousin told me that now no lights come on when he opens either refrigerator door or freezer drawer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I'm attaching the schematics below.

On the main control board in the back of your refrigerator you can check for DC VOLTS across J14-6 to J14-7 (WHILE THE FRESH FOOD DOOR IS OPEN), that's the DC VOLTS that go to the FRESH FOOD LED lights.

Here's the main control board for your model:

And for the FREEZER LED lights on the door board check for 3 VOLTS DC at J3-3 to J3-5 (WHILE THE FREEZER DOOR IS OPEN). The door board is at the top of the freezer door, under its cover.

Here's the door board for your model:

Jake

Attachments

• 31-51901 GE Mini Manual.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 38

robrpb

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for your reply and help. I will pass it on to my cousin and help him check the voltages.

Rob

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Rob, sounds good.

Jake