• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GFE29HSDASS Dispenser does not deliver water, ice or even turn on the light

Jim B AZ

Premium Member
Model Number
GFE29HSD
Brand
GE
Hello Everyone and Thanks for your help!

A little history as I do not know what may be relevant...
My Side by Side ice dispenser has been acting up for about six months now. By that I mean that occasionally, I have had to dump the ice from the bucket and remove a clump.

This last time, there was ice firmly packed into the chute, but I very carefully removed it without using any sharp instruments.

That evening it quit dispensing entirely. The push buttons play their song and the display works just fine. Please note the ice MAKER is working just fine.

I have verified the freezer and refrigerator door switches are working properly (LED lights go off) and the refrigerator and freezer are properly maintaining temperature.

Here is where it gets strange... IF the water discharge tube was actually frozen the lights should have still have worked and the ice dispenser should have made some noise.
Nevertheless, based on a Youtube suggestion I placed a tall glass of very hot water directly below the water discharge tube and left it there for about an hour.
Everything seemed to be working just great. This was more than a little confusing but I though "it's working" and called it a day.

The next morning right in the middle of dispensing a glass of water it just quit again! So, it could not have been a frozen line issue.

Diagnostics Results:
Test 70 checks the paddle switch. It is good.
Test 68 is the door water valve and when I run it I hear the buzz but no water so perhaps the master isolation valve must be turned on at the same time to see water... I don't know.

A side note: Years ago, I saw a GE service tech use a ethernet cable and connect to the unit to run a diagnostic. Anyone know where I could get such software and documentation?

Your thoughts on getting this beast properly working are most humbly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Jim B AZ

Premium Member
Yesterday I could edit... but not today so I will post my continued testing result:
I repeated the experiment of placing a hot water source immediately below the opening / water discharge tube. After about 30 minutes, the water dispenser responded to the paddle and started to dispense for about 5 seconds (lights came on and all that) then it quit again. And now, once again the dispenser does not work for ice or water but the buttons and the ice maker itself works just great!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

This model is fairly new and I haven't had technical training on it yet to assist you. Hopefully another tech that has can shed some light on this problem.

Other than that, you'll need to Contact GE to come out to see what's going on.

A side note: Years ago, I saw a GE service tech use a ethernet cable and connect to the unit to run a diagnostic. Anyone know where I could get such software and documentation?
That tool I believe is called a field inspector tool, Rick posted a photo of it in post#4 here: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/57327-PSI23NC-Reprogram-Digital-Thermostat

But you may want to pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then unplug the refrigerator, then remove the motherboard cover and look closely to see if you notice and burnt spots on the motherboard, if you do, you found the problem.:)

Here's the motherboard for your model:
WR55X28074 Refrig Main Control Board

Jake

Jim B AZ

Premium Member
Perhaps I found the problem

Got it all apart and it seems to be the dispenser paddle switch. It is a SPDT switch (3 wire) and it seems the software only looks at one set of contacts but both have to work properly for everything to work.
The switch is VERY corroded. I fiddled with the switch flexing the wires and the solder tabs of the switch and for the moment everything is working. Hmmm I was here one before...

When the part arrives, I will post an update as to my success or failure!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member