• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GFG461LVS1 Whirlpool gas range oven turns off

kkingmd

Premium Member
Model Number
GFG461LVS1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,

My whirlpool gas range is doing the following:

1. Turn on bake (either bake or convect) and the gas lights for about 10-15 seconds and then turns off. I can hear it ignite and then after about 15 seconds it sounds like a valve closes and the gas stops. Does not relight. Only relights if I cancel and then try and restart the bake. Does not come back on.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
See if broil does the same thing.

If so, first ohm test the gas valve. You will need a multimeter to ohm test the gas valve.

Here's the gas valve for your model you can order, if needed:
WPW10293048 Valve-Gas

Its located at the very bottom of your range towards the back, so you'll need to pull your lower storage drawer out to access it, get a flashlight or droplight so you can see better under there.

Unplug or remove power from the range FIRST. Set the Ohm meter on RX300. Remove the three wires from the gas valve. The wire connectors are different sizes so they can be replaced in the same spot. The center terminal is the common terminal. Put one meter probe on the center terminal and touch one of the other terminals and then the other terminal. The meter should read 216 Ohms both times. If not, replace the gas valve.

TEST PROCEDURE
Solenoid Resistance Tests

1. Disconnect power from the range.
2. Set the ohmmeter to the R x 100 scale.
3. Touch the ohmmeter terminals to terminals 1 and 2 (Broil). The ohmmeter should read 216 Ω ±30.
4. Touch the ohmmeter terminals to terminals 3 and 2 (Bake). The ohmmeter should read 216 Ω ±30.

NOTE: Always check both solenoids. If one of the solenoids is defective, neither one will operate.

Keep us posted.

Jake