• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GFSS6KKYASS Noisy fan / no ice

anotherDIY

Premium Member
Model Number
GFSS6KKYASS
Brand
GE
Hello.

My GE, side by side refrigerator, in the garage, is making noise when the fan is running. It stops when I open the freezer drawer. It sounds like something is in contact with the fan blades.
There is a little ice behind the center shelf support I the fridge.
There is very little quantity of ice in the ice maker too.
Its a secondary unit that I mainly use for drinks and freezer items.
I'm looking for advise, what to check and how to fix it. :)

Thanks!

Nick

KevinA

Appliance Tech
Your icemaker could be leaking, or being in a garage you could have had a little "melt and dribble" action into the fan motor section. Unfortunately it is a common problem I have encountered with their side by side units. The easiest way to resolve it is to remove everything, thaw it manually, and let it rip if you cannot find a leak dripping from the icemaker.
This time of year cold garages make for some interesting results out of refrigerators where they will short cycle and make a bit of a mess. Is your garage toasty warm?

anotherDIY

Premium Member
The easiest way to resolve it is to remove everything, thaw it manually, and let it rip if you cannot find a leak dripping from the icemaker.
Is your garage toasty warm?
rip? Rest in peace?
garage is 61 right now. I think it gets to 55 but I'm not sure. I'll keep an eye on temp.

KevinA

Appliance Tech
LOL In that context let it rip means turn it on and let it go. I'm showing my age.
Ambient temperatures below 60 can make for some really odd results with a refrigerator. As a machine gets older the insulation doesn't fit as tightly from the constant temperature shifts both inside and outside. It's easy for the newer units to develop air gaps.