• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GFU14M3AW6 Gibson Upright Freezer massive frost build-up inside top

hmsbeagle

Premium Member
Model Number
GFU14M3AW6
Brand
Gibson
I have an old Gibson Upright Freezer Model GFU14M3AW6. The top of the freezer starts to build up frost and ice. It has done this for several years and I have replaced the door gasket hoping that would help. I defrosted it several weeks ago and the frost is back, worse than ever. I now have icicles hanging from the top of the freezer.

In addition, the top of the freezer on the outside is very warm to the touch. The freezer is in our garage. The freezer is keeping everything frozen, but the ice build up is disturbing. Any ideas? I've attached a picture.

freezer.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I defrosted it several weeks ago and the frost is back,

How many is "several”?

That is from humid air entering the cabinet and then condensing and freezing. The only way I can see that amount of frost accumulating in less that a month is if the door is being left alar, the door seal is not sealing or it is being opened and closed an excessive number of times every day.

If the door seal is actually in good shape and sealing all the way around, make sure the door closes tight on its own. Raises the front legs a bit to get the door to fall closed when let go.

Once 1/4" of frost accumulates on any shelf, it needs defrosting. The more frost, the harder it has to work and longer it has to run, using more electricity.

Dan O.

hmsbeagle

Premium Member
I defrosted about 3 weeks ago. It has a new (last year) seal. Should the top and side of the outside be hot?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Should the top and side of the outside be hot?

The front edge of the cabinet will get warm while running. If there is no black condenser on the back of the appliance, the outside side walls will also get warm when running. That will be the freezer getting rid of the heat from the food inside. ie. The cooling process.

If it does have a condenser up the rear, that condenser wil get warm while running as will the front edge.

It has a new (last year) seal.

Just because it is new, doesn't mean it's sealing properly.

Dan O.