• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GFW490RPK0DG GE Washer - Drain Pump always on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_dingus

Premium Member
Model Number
GFW490RPK0DG
Brand
GE
About 3 months ago my 3 year old “high end” GE washer quit working altogether. I opened up the top and the 110v fuse on the main board was open. I replaced and it worked fine until last week. It was totally dead. I opened again and fuse was good but probing the board showed no low voltage DC anywhere. I guess the LV PS was toast. I ordered the PCB IMC ASM WH12X26034 and installed. Washer came to life and the drain pump came on and runs continuously even with the controls off.

I put it in service mode and checked for codes, none. Cleared EEPROM, no change. All of the other tests seem to work (except it can’t fill with water as drain pump is on all the time). The sensor read 45Hz. If I unplug the harness plug near the pump relay, it stops. It’s like the washer doesn’t know the pump is on. I thought maybe the pump relay on the board was stuck closed but after probing, it appears to be Normally Open like the one on the bad board.

If the relay supplies power to the pump, why would the machine not notice it was having the pump run all the time? Is the relay on the PCB an input for another relay down on the pump that could be stuck? Don’t want to waste anymore time or money on it if I am chasing a gremlin. Any thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#10 is the pressure sensor
#11 is the pressure sensor hose

Remove the pressure sensor hose and blow through that hose with lots of force and see if that solves it. Also check inside the pressure sensor nipple(where the hose attaches) for a semi-clog.

Jake

MN_dingus

Premium Member
Jake,
Well, I bought a different washer because I couldn’t stop the drain pump and needed a washer. Now I have a few minutes to play with this machine in my shop and have disassembled mostly the whole thing. The pump is fine. And the 2nd new control board does the same thing. Run the pump all the time but acts like it does not know it’s running. The pressure sensor hose is clean, and reading 45Hz. It seems to respond to when I squeeze the hose so I assume it is alright. If I disconnect the sensor, pump still runs. The only way to stop the pump is disconnect the plug in harness from the board (cuz, yeah). So, I’d be interested in any thoughts you had. I can see any other sensors that would be telling the system to run the pump regardless of anything else. Plus, out of curiosity, I put some water in the tub for circulation and plumbed the discharge back inside and let it run to see if it would “reset”. 2 hrs and nothing. Still running. At this point, I can’t sell it to someone and it is practically brand new. If I have to send it to the dump, it is such a waste.
Thanks,

Adrian

Attachments

• BB3AF5F3-8A63-44FA-9EBF-BB761F937E92.jpeg
    BB3AF5F3-8A63-44FA-9EBF-BB761F937E92.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 32

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Adrian, I have no clue why it keeps running the pump, never seen that happen before and I don't have the tech. data sheet to assist you on it, so its best to contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to come out and see what's going on.

Jake

Loudrats

Premium Member
I have the same issue, i bought 2 new control boards and soon after pluging power in the drain starts to run but it wouldn't do the same when i plug in the original. The reason why i decided to get new control boards was that i have having a "no spin" issue. The new boards fixed the spin issue but initiated a different kind of issue where the drain wont shut off....do i need to some how program it to for the machine to recognize the new board? Model GE GHWS3605F0RR

MN_dingus

Premium Member
Great question, Loudrat. It is pretty clearly a firmware bug. The computer is telling the pump relay to close. I’m gonna call and pester the GE gods and I will report what I find. If you get a solution let me know. This is just ridiculous that an $800 washer is useless after 3 years.

Loudrats

Premium Member
Great question, Loudrat. It is pretty clearly a firmware bug. The computer is telling the pump relay to close. I’m gonna call and pester the GE gods and I will report what I find. If you get a solution let me know. This is just ridiculous that an $800 washer is useless after 3 years.
I will definitely update you if i ever find a solution to this problem. I dont think i will ever buy GE appliance anymore.

Loudrats

Premium Member
Could this be the reason? The original has an empty slot

Attachments

• 20220209_161259.jpg
    20220209_161259.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 56

Loudrats

Premium Member

So i fixed my washer MN_dingus. I ended up taking the pressure switch tube off the unit. Then i blowed air throw it several times until i was convinced there wasn't at obstruction. Then i used a toothpick to penetrate the opening where the tube attaches to the drum. I turned it on and now everything works as it should. I hope that fixes your problem. This was a battle. I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.