FIXED GGW9250PL Whirlpool Duet Dryer won't get hot....but parts have been replaced

LAarchitect

Premium Member
Model Number
GGW9250PL
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a perplexing maintenance issue: The Duet GAS dryer will only heat to luke warm. I have replaced all the suspect parts with Whirlpool parts. The gas fires up fine when you start the dryer, but only cycles for 3 to 5 seconds, and that cycle repeats itself never heating the dryer past 85 degrees or so. When I pull the thermostat (WPL-W10423382) away from the flame cone, the dryer will burn continuously and get nice and (too) hot. I replaced that part. Same problem.

When I pull out the Thermistor (WP 8577274) from the exhaust air tube, the dryer heats properly and cycles properly. So I've replaced that with a new one, Whirlpool part number WP8577274. Same issue when the thermistor is connected to the exhaust tube, it won't fully heat.

By leaving these parts connected to the power leads but taking them out of the heat areas, and getting the dryer to perform correctly, it seems like I have my culprit, but even after getting 2 replacement thermistors thinking one may have been bad, it still won't heat properly with the parts installed in their locations. I could just leave the thermistor out of the exhaust tube, but that doesn't seem like a good idea.... Any thoughts??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like a lazy flame. A lazy flame indicates poor air flow through that burner tube, thus usually a clogged vent or vent exhaust.

If the flame is lazy and not strong, it will overheat the hi-limit thermostat and cut off prematurely. So first pull your dryer away from the wall, and take off your exhaust hose from the back of your dryer, then run it with no clothes in it and see if it stays on longer and cycles off and on normally.

Jake

LAarchitect

Premium Member
Although I had cleaned out the exhaust before, it is a relatively long run, and having been able to get into it at the exterior of the house, found a birds nest wedged way up in there. Lots of parts replaced for a simple issue that I looked for in the beginning and just couldn't find. I did not try the "remove the exhaust hose from the dryer" trick, and should have! What was perplexing me was that when I pulled out the thermistor, it ran and heated fairly normally. Now I understand that the hole where the thermistor was is allowing more exhaust air to exit, therefore allowing the flame to burn closer to normal. Thank you, that's the answer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good find on finding that birds nest and clearing it out, I've seen that many times myself on my service calls for this same problem in the last 30+ years.

Thanks for the update!

Jake