• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GH7208XRS3 Whirlpool has power yet no microwave sound to heat anything. Silent.

Datagg

Premium Member
Model Number
GH7208XRS3
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello. Bad day as microwave has stopped doing its thing. Unit has power, panel lights up, turntable works when start is pressed yet no microwave sound present with silence. Not sure what is happening here or if this is even something I can fix myself.

Thank you so much for your help.

Whirlpool Velos
Model # GH7208XRS-3

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Datagg

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. So based on my issue, you believe it may be one of the switches then and not the Magnetron?... They certainly don't make it easy to replace these, wow!!. My unit is mounted under a cabinet above stove... This gonna be a bugger to get down if that's how it needs to be done.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I need to ask Rick, he was out of town last week.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Look on the lower left of the display. Do you see LEARN:ON? On this style machine it needs to come down for service if the door switches check good. Use two people and unplug the machine, support the bottom front and remove the two top support screws. Lower the front of the machine then lift it off the bracket.