• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GHW9150PW0 Whirlpool Duet Broken Spider Arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyn

Premium Member
Model Number
GHW9150PW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hey there! So, if you are reading this you are either a member of this forum or did a search on this same issue (that is how I found this forum!) so I wanted to share with you our experience in hopes others can have a positive outcome. I'm a bit of a story teller so I will bold areas of interest so you can scroll through if you like.

First of all- for those new at DIY appliance repair, if you are resourceful, you can do it. Doesn't matter if you have never done it before. But you have to be resourceful! If you *can't* find manuals, assembly instructions, other people's experiences, etc and you are not very intuitive on taking things apart or putting them together then you might just throw in the towel and either a.) find someone else who IS b.) pay someone else who is or c.) just toss it and buy a new one.

Luckily, we are resourceful. I mean, hey we fit 2 adults and 7 kids in my FJ80 Landcruiser. We can figure it out.

We purchased a used Duet washer and dryer combo off of Craigslist for around $1200 about 5 years ago. I was stoked (and I can use that word because Im from Santa Cruz) since we have a LOT of kids and we never can afford ANYTHING like that usually since they run about that EACH and then some, new.

Besides being almost a 3-4 man job to carry in and/or out of a house the washer had some issues. We started getting code errors on it and after reading through thread after thread of other people with this issue who were charged an arm and a leg for a repairman to come out and replace multiple things that were not broken such as the motherboard- we decided to purchase a cheap board part ourself, do the soldering and voila- it works. Now- it seems as though the dial settings are one off (if I want to use a mode I have to turn the dial one previous) but hey- I'm not complaining.

A few years later (Thurs night) the washing machine decided it wanted to sprout rockets and become airborn- at least that is what it sounded like. It was a creepy, HORRIBLY loud noise. We were expecting the bank to come the next morning to take pictures of the house for a refinance so I was stressing since we had so much laundry to do. I decided not to use it because it looked there there was a hardened gasket sealant type stuff flaking off from the front and a huge gap between the frame and the drum.
After the bank came and did their deal, my husband took the washer apart and low and behold- two arms of the spider arm had broken off (big surprise now).

So, while I was debating investing in a cheap washingboard while we scrape together enough money to even remotely purchase a new washer, I decided to follow the instructions on one of the threads in this forum to call Whirlpool and that it might possibly be covered as a lifetime warranty complete with the drum assembly.

I did call 1-800-253-1301 (Whirlpool) and the first thing you will get is an automated system. If you select the order part selection they will transfer you to someone and you will have to request to transfer you to the Warranty Dept. Then they will ask you for the Model number and serial number (it's in the door frame).
I then explained that the washer had been Shaking all over tarnation and when we opened it up we found the spider arms were broken. I then proceeded to firmly explain that as far as I was aware, the spider arm is considered a part of the drum and is therefore covered under a lifetime warranty. She asked me if I had registered the unit and I said no and she registered me and got my phone number and address.

She looked it up and attempted to tell me that the spider arm is, within itself, a part that could be ordered and may not be considered as part of the basin in which I explained she was mistaken. Mostly given to the fact that it's somewhat obvious the spider arm was assembled onto the tub via a machine shop and it would be EXTREMELY difficult to fix it individually. She then, relented and is now shipping, free of cost, the basin unit with spider free of charge to us.

​So, in a few weeks we will receive our part free of charge and we can install it easy peasy, just as we disassembled it. There you have it.
- We were not the original owners.
- We did not have a warranty paper in our hands that came with the unit.
- All I did was call and assert myself firmly and politely and did not allow myself to be railroaded into paying $300-$400 for a part that is covered.

From here I will update you on what happens when it does arrive and perhaps even document how we fixed it ourself for those of you interested in doing so, also. Let me know if you have anything you want to add or if anyone has done this themselves.

Best regards,
Jyn

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job Jyn, thats exactly how to do it to get them to send you the inner tub assembly under warranty.:)

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

smokey0066

Premium Member
Model Number: GHW9200LW0
Brand: Whirlpool

I just wanted to comment that I am also in the same boat. My washer recently started making alot of noises and leaving rubbed/burned plastic in the wash. I started shopping but wasn't ready to shell out top dollar for a new pair of front loaders. Did some more searching and ran into this post.

I called Whirlpool as mentioned in this thread and initially ran into the "you have to schedule an authorized service center to look at the machine" but I told the CSR that I had already opened up the machine and all I needed was the parts to replace it. She put me on hold and spoke to her manager (i assume) and came back and said that it would be fine to bypass the service call and ship me the parts directly. So I'm patiently waiting for my parts now but I wanted to post up here to let others know that you should consider this option before pitching the washer.

Jake, Do you know if I need to replace the gasket between the two tub halves once I open it up or can I re-use it? I'd like to order the part ahead of time if I'm going to need it. I'm also replacing the belt while I'm in there. Anything else I should consider?

And just to comment briefly on my Duet set. I've had them since new. Never had any problems except for the initial learning curve with too much detergent and getting suds. We have always used HE detergent since new. Pump went out in Dec '11 so I'd say we've had a great run of 9 trouble free years with these appliances and looking forward to many more once the replacement parts get here. I will post up an update once I receive new parts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its best to replace the seal that goes between the 2 half tubs.

Yes, check your belt to see if its starting to crack.

Here's the inner tub assembly for your model which includes the spider arm supports:
Inner Tub WPW10250573 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the main tub seal for your model you can order here:
Gasket 8181673 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the belt for your model you can order here:
Drive Belt W10388414 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

smokey0066

Premium Member
Just a follow up for anyone interested. I got all my parts yesterday, within a week of calling in the warranty. Whirlpool isn't very good about notifying you when parts ship or providing a tracking number. Things just appeared at my front door. I got the stainless drum, front tub half and rear tub half along with gasket and lube for the bearing assembly. I need to grab a belt. Tear down will begin tomorrow night after work.

I'm still in awe that the replacement parts I received cost nearly as much as the whole machine itself did 9yrs ago.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes keep us posted.

Jake

smokey0066

Premium Member
Jake, I got a question for you. I just completed the job. New drum and outer tub. Belt looked fine so I kept it as is. Its late and I'm frustrated. I've got 3 washes now and it runs fine except for a slight squeal. The squeal only seems to happen at slow speeds. Typically when it is rocking the load back and fourth to wash. I can also re-create it by just turning the drum by hand slowly. If I spin it fast by hand the squeal goes away again. It doesn't happen during high speed spin.

I'm suspecting the bearing seal rubbing on shaft? I was careful to apply the grease only to the bearings and not on the seal as directed to avoid getting the grease in the wash. Could it be my belt? But I would think the belt wouldn't cause me problems when I turn it by hand since there is no load on the belt assembly. If its the seal will it eventually wear itself away? Anyways I'm tired and might pull it out and see if the belt tension is giving me trouble tomorrow. The belt felt tight even with the motor butted up against the stop. I really don't want to open that drum back up.

Other than that it is working fine. We're excited to have a washer back. Thanks for the tip Jyn.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its hard to tell where that squeal is coming from, I agree I don't think its the belt, yes it sounds like the bearing seal rubbing on the shaft, it may just wear itself away, but its hard to tell.

Jake

smokey0066

Premium Member
It might have been the seal. Sounds like most of it has gone away after running almost non-stop this past weekend playing catch up on our laundry.

thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

mxhonda

Premium Member
I found this thread and gave it a try, NO luck!

I was given the trade partner warranty number of 800-874-4698 option 4 then option 2. After 2 calls (Nicole and Denise) I have a service tech coming out.

Nicole advised that I should put the machine back together before the tech arrived...

I called back and spoke with Denise, mentioned this forum, and was told "we do not diagnose/send parts over the phone, a service person will be at your home tomorrow"

mxhonda

Premium Member
UPDATE:

Service tech arrived from Sears Blue Crew, who must be the "trade partner" because Sears is not who I purchased the machine from.

I did not re-assemble the washer.

For $129 he diagnosed, ordered the front tub, rear tub, basket assembly under warranty, and will be back to install in a week.

My machine is a 2004 model, hopefully I'll get another 8yrs out of it!

Attachments

kskier

Premium Member
This was very helpful. Other tips:

- When you dial the number it will ask you if you bought the product within the last year. Say YES.

- You have to be very assertive with the rep that YOU KNOW THAT THIS IS ONE PIECE AND CANNOT BE SEPARATED. REQUIRES A MACHINE SHOP. YOU DID YOUR RESEARCH AND TALKED TO APPLIANCE TECH.

-They wanted to send a rep to confirm. I said I have the part out. send me an address and I will bring it to them. I will not pay for a service rep to confirm something I am looking at.

Thanks.

ski1947

Premium Member
How do you get to the three arm spindle on the drum unit? Our duet washer and rocking and making terrible noises when in the spin cycle. We have already replaced the shocks.

kskier

Premium Member
Can't give you a step by step, but you take it apart as much as you did already, take the belt off, remove the large nut on the back, and remove the clips around the center of the washer. If you were able to get to the shocks you probably can figure it out.

ski1947

Premium Member
Problem is that I did not have the proper tool so when I removed the old shocks they were damaged as I removed them.....it didn't matter because I was replacing them anyhow. But to take it apart again for this problem, I wouldn't want to screw around with the shocks. Make sense?

kskier

Premium Member
Did not have any special tools. Hardest part was detaching/reattaching the springs from the drum/body. I did break a shock so I replaced them as well.

lostausername

thought i would share this...
so the spyder tore up on my whirlpool duet. that i bought used. thats 9 years old. after doing some google-ing i came across this website. read the first post, thought i would try it. ill be damned. they are sending me the stainless inner tub, and both halves of the outer tub-at no charge. wow! it may be a design flaw, crappy spyder, etc, but after their willingness to send me all these parts, ill always buy whirlpool. just follow what she says in the begining to a t and it will work.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
thought i would share this...
so the spyder tore up on my whirlpool duet. that i bought used. thats 9 years old. after doing some google-ing i came across this website. read the first post, thought i would try it. ill be damned. they are sending me the stainless inner tub, and both halves of the outer tub-at no charge. wow! it may be a design flaw, crappy spyder, etc, but after their willingness to send me all these parts, ill always buy whirlpool. just follow what she says in the begining to a t and it will work.
Thats great news that Whirlpool did that for you.:)

Thanks for posting your experience, that should help others.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.