GHW9150PW2 Duet washer sounds like there's a ball bearing in it

bradc2014

Premium Member
Model Number
GHW9150PW2
Brand
Whirlpool
Our Duet washer/dryer combo is about 8 years old. (I'm having a dryer problem that I will post in that forum.)

Recently, our washer started sounding like there was a ball bearing, or a marble, inside the drum while in the spin cycle, but when we look, there's nothing there. We have kids, including a 7yo boy, so we're used to stuff getting left in pockets.

It seems like something is maybe caught between the drum and its outer shell. I can't imagine how a marble or any of my kids' toys could have gotten a piece in there, so I'm wondering if maybe something has broken off the outer part of the drum and is spinning around in there.

Otherwise, the washer functions normally, but I'm worried this will lead to a more catastrophic failure. How do I check into this and see what's going on?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its a pretty big job to pull out your inner tub, so allow yourself plenty of time to do this.

This video will show you how:

[video=youtube;Rd5NKbpVSRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5NKbpVSRM[/video]

Jake

bradc2014

Premium Member
So, is it possible there are things stuck between the drum and the outer tub, as Curtinmass found in that thread I linked to? And if I don't find anything, what could be wrong? I'm just wondering what I should be looking for.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Only way to tell Brad is by taking your washer apart per that video I posted above.

Jake

bradc2014

Premium Member
After the agony I went through with the dryer, I don't think I'm up to tackling the washer. If I leave it be, is there any danger to the washer, if there are just a few things stuck between the drum and the outer tub?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It should be ok.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome.

Jake