FIXED GHW9250ML1 Duet HT Error Code FH and Leak...

troche

Premium Member
Model Number
GHW9250ML1
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Duet HT about 5 years old. Recently it started flashing the FH error code when it was part way/most of the way through the normal cycle. The tub is half filled with water so I'm thinking it's probably not an indicator that the water flow has a problem. Last night I was able to get a quick wash cycle to run through but this morning I tried the same cycle and got the HF error code again. It also leaks a little from the front but I'm thinking this may be because there is too much water in the tub (the gasket/bellows seem to be intact with no damage). Are there any other things I can check (washer balance, pumps, hoses, etc.) that might be causing these issues? Also is there a mechanism that tells the washer to shut off when there is too much water in the tub? Thanks...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possibly either your water inlet valve or flowmeter.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve 8181694 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the flowmeter for your model:
Flowmeter W10110225 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

First run the diagnostics test as shown here on Page 5, it will automatically check the flowmeter & the cold water inlet valve in C:01: www.applianceblog.com/manuals/8181790.pdf

Jake

troche

Premium Member
So, here's what I did. I took the top off last night and double-checked that all the connections were firm. I then cleaned the inlet hose screens. I ran a normal cycle. During the cycle the water continued to fill for 8 minutes of the cycle which put the water almost half way up the glass on the door. This seems to be the problem. Once the water reaches a certain level, a leak starts from the front of the washer (not before) and the "FH" error code eventually is displayed.

I printed out and ran the diagnostics (thanks) as you mentioned and and let the cycle try to finish. When the hot water cycle ran, it ran, and ran, and ran...it kept going for a couple minutes which seemed odd on a "drain/rinse" cycle (there was no leak - yet). I stopped the diagnostics and restarted it, skipping the procedures as they were successful. All worked fine.

So I guess my next question is - will the seemingly overflow of water cause the "FH" error code (and subsequent leak) and is there anything else I can check to stop the excess water?

Thanks...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, was hot water coming in the machine on drain/rinse? It should be cold only.

From what you did now it sounds like your water level pressure switch switch may be the culprit, as it should of cut the water off below it got that high in the tub.
Pressure Switch 8181695 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Do this: When its filling with water unplug the machine and see if the water stops coming in, do that on both hot and cold selections. If the water doesn't stop, then its the water inlet valve I posted a link to above.

Jake

troche

Premium Member
The drain/rinse cycle is the one used for the diagnostics sheet you provided. It checks the hot and cold inlets along with the other suspects (door, spin, etc.) With that said when C:03 and C:05 came on at different times the water just kept filling. I wouldn't think that it would be that long for the water to fill or be checked. So I think your recommendation of the pressure relief switch is correct. One thing I did notice when I opened the top of the washer was that the white plastic clamp that holds the drain tube inside the washer and the tube coming from the switch had "broke" or at least detached partly from the tubes. I gently lifted the tube from the switch and it was still attached it seemed at the bottom of the washer. I am going to order the switch, tube and, if I can find it on the Repair Clinic site, the clamp as well. I'll let you know how it works out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

troche

Premium Member
The problem has been solved. After taking off the back panel, I removed the tube connected to the pressure switch and the washer tub. The tube had worn to a skinnier shape near the middle but this couldn't be seen without removing it. It also had a small hole that opened only if the tube was twisted a certain way which probably accounts for the intermittent FH error codes. It seems that when the clip (which held the drain tube and pressure switch tube to the corner of the frame) broke, the pressure switch tube occasionally rubbed against the frame rail/flange inside the washer. Quite honestly, this seems to be a flaw in the design or sturdiness of the clip.

I ended up replacing pressure switch hose, then used a zip tie which seems to work. I also couldn't find the clip listed as a part on any repair part sites.

Thanks for the help..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job.:)

Jake