FIXED GI1500PHB6 cavitating noise and cleaning indicator

Tincup

Premium Member
Model Number
GI1500PHB6
Brand
Whirlpool
Bought this unit last year at an estate sale and was so pleased that it worked so well. This summer I started hearing a noise that could only be stopped by adding more water to the filler tank. Only happened every now and then so no big deal. Now it is doing it all the time and now after running for 8 hours or so the cleaning light is blinking. Ran thru the cycle even using specified cleaner. Pulled pump and it is in good working condition. I have read many articles and posts on these ice makers and I have seen lot's of posts on broken grids and external pumps but have seen very little on my issues. I suspect main board or filler valve. Toss this dog and bone and help me get it back up and running.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Measure the resistance of the coil on the water valve. It should be 277.5Ω Turn the machine off then unplug it for a minimum 120 seconds (2 min). Restore power and turn machine on. Measure the voltage at the water valve (120 VAC).

Water Inlet Valve W10801996

Tincup

Premium Member
Partial Success

Thanks for the direction. Coil measured 280 ohms and voltage was dead on. While I was there I pulled the valve. I disassembled it and checked for blockage. The screen was coated and the main inlet was partially plugged by hard water deposit.

Cleaned it all up inspected the seals and put it back together. So far so good but it would usually make a full load of ice before it would start starving for water and then the cleaning light would come on. I will update if this is or isn't the solution.

Tincup

Premium Member
Well after a quiet 10 hours and a bin full of ice the pump starving for water sound returned. Just for grins I turned the unit off and then back on. It started filling and the noise abated. 12 hours later all is still quiet. Not sure what that means but that is what is going on now.

rickgburton

Staff member

Tincup

Premium Member
Nope not today

While I was out of town on business my wife called someone in to fix the ice-maker. She said she was tired of me wasting my time on it. Well they came in and replaced the logic board and 12 hours later after a bin full of ice the pump was once again starving for water. I have not called them back out but after looking at the bill I am sure I don't want to.

I think at this point the only thing to do is to actually replace the water inlet valve and see if that is the culprit, beyond that I am at a loss of ideas and enthusiasm for throwing any more money at this unit.

Tincup

Premium Member
Don't Remeber Voltage

Did you check if you have 120 VAC at the water valve?
When I pulled the valve I remember checking the ohms but may have missed the voltage at the plug. What does the lack of proper voltage at the pump indicate?

rickgburton

Staff member
Tincup said:
the pump starving for water sound returned....pump was once again starving for water.
Why is the pump starving for water? If the valve is getting 120 VAC and not letting water in, bad valve.

rickgburton

Staff member
Board, loose connection, broken or pinched wire, corrosion. Do you have "Max Ice " selected? Which pump is running without water? So the water valve fills the reservoir with a set quantity of water determined by the ice thickness setting. Does it continue to make ice without any issues up until the bin is full?

Tincup

Premium Member
Board, loose connection, broken or pinched wire, corrosion. Do you have "Max Ice " selected? Which pump is running without water? So the water valve fills the reservoir with a set quantity of water determined by the ice thickness setting. Does it continue to make ice without any issues up until the bin is full?
There is no setting other than "Off, On, Clean" that I have ever found. The recirculating pump in the reservoir is running and when I check the level it is low. Normally the water is almost at the top of the reservoir. It makes ice up until the bin is full. The ice appears to be of normal size that it has always made. After normal melting and use it is when it calls for more ice that the low water in the reservoir is noticed. If I turn the unit off and then back on it pauses and then I can hear the valve open and water filling it. Before they replaced the board the low water if left would then cause the cleaning light to flash.

When I visually inspect the unit it is very clean with little or no corrosion.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, When the ice bin is full nothing should be running. A thermistor tells the control if it should be in ice making mode or harvest mode. Check the thermistors again. At room temperature (77°F) they should have about 10KΩ

rickgburton

Staff member

Tincup

Premium Member
Spot On

Measured both with my old analog Simpson meter and they were dead on at 10k. Pulled the top and looked over all connections as well as underneath. Found nothing that would make me think that something was out of order. Strange that it will make ice like crazy for 8 hours then stop and start this issue. Is there any code to the flashing cleaning light or is it just random?

rickgburton

Staff member
The only time the LED blinks is if there is an open or shorted thermistor detected when you press the clean button. It blinks for 5 seconds. I think the control board is bad. Your wife had a repair company diagnose the machine as having a bad control board and they replaced it. A reputable company will have a guaranty on their work so I think you need to call them and tell them the repair didn't work. You shouldn't have to pay for a repair that didn't fix the problem.

Tincup

Premium Member
Even a blind gopher finds an acorn from time to time.

When you said that the led only blinks if there is an open or shorted thermistor it got me to thinking. I remeasured both of the thermistors making sure they were accurate and not intermittent. When I did that the rear mounted one that is attached to the coil gave me open then and ok reading. When I pulled it was discolored and as I wiggle the wire it gave my different readings. I replaced it with a part from a local source and picked up a valve just to play it safe. Well the thermistor fixed the flashing cleaning light but not the lack of water in the tray. I replaced the valve which appears to have been the fix. Even though the readings are dead on for the coil on the water valve the new valve seems to have done the trick.

When I can't do something I am Ok with calling in the experts. In this case they missed it too. I know have a spare board that will be a spare down the road. You have been a big help in all of this and I thank you very much.