FIXED GI5FSAXVY01 Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator leaking water on floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, unplug the machine, open the freezer door and remove the wire shelves from the bulge on the evaporator cover down. Remove the two rails for the bottom crisper, two screws in each rail. Remove the six 1/4" screws in the evaporator cover and lift the cover up so you can access the evaporator and drain pan. The drain hole is under the evaporator in the center.
20 Whirlpool SXS Evaporator Cover Evap Defrost Pan.jpg

larry blair

Premium Member
OK, unplug the machine, open the freezer door and remove the wire shelves from the bulge on the evaporator cover down. Remove the two rails for the bottom crisper, two screws in each rail. Remove the six 1/4" screws in the evaporator cover and lift the cover up so you can access the evaporator and drain pan. The drain hole is under the evaporator in the center.
View attachment 9077
did all that and it was froze and thawed out now I remember that drain sound and now that I think about it its been a while sence I've heard it..lol. also all the fans are clean and operating I also cleaned the compressor. The fridge is only two years old. What causes this? I'm thinking poor air circulation inside the freezer? Thanks for your help. I will tell you all the things I've done to solve this with some trouble shooting over the course of two months

rickgburton

Staff member
Blocked drain lines has been a refrigerator enigma for a long time. It’s as common now as it was thirty years ago. Ninety percent of all blocked drain lines can be fixed by cleaning the drain tube out. The other ten percent is a different story. Anything that can stop or slow the flow of water from going down the drain hole will eventually cause a blocked drain tube. A very small amount of water left in the drain pan is all that it takes to start the process. Any amount of water that freezes in the drain pan will build on itself until the drain hole is frozen over. Once the drain hole is frozen over it takes about a week on a side by side, or several weeks on a top mount, before it becomes noticeable. Every time the refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle, the water from the frost on the evaporator coils builds a new layer of ice. Once the drain trough is full, the water will go to the next lower spot. On a side by side that’s usually the freezer floor. On a top mount it’s under the freezer floor. It continues to build until you notice it. On a side by side that’s when it leaks out the door onto the floor. On a top mount it’s when water starts dripping into the fresh food section. Wrapping a piece of wire around the defrost heater and into the drain hole comes with its own set of issues. It only works on the calrod style heaters and does not work on glass tube heaters. If it’s the wrong material or too long or too big a diameter it won’t work. I’ve had the best success with a piece of 1/32” aluminum wire that goes into the drain about 1.5”. Other than gold or silver any other material will eventually corrode and you’re back to square one.

rickgburton

Staff member
Remove the evaporator cover, freezer section, back wall. The evaporator (#22) sits in the defrost pan (#20) The drain hole is in the bottom center and drains through the drain tube (#6) into the defrost drain pan (#8) Your defrost heater (#10) is the calrod style but only use the wire method as a last resort. Most of the time a good cleaning done correctly is all it takes.
(click thumbnail to enlarge)

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
If your model number is the same, a 1/4" nut driver, Phillips screwdriver, Hair dryer, turkey baster (optional) and some very hot water. You'll also need a couple large towels to place on the floor of the freezer section.

gwhoffman

Premium Member
Hey rickgburton,
will the same diagram as above work for my Whirlpool model GX2FHDXVA? I am have a leaking problem also, and I do NOT have the ice maker hooked up. I can't find the drain hose or the drip pan. Do I need to get into the back of my freezer? Thanks.

gwhoffman

Premium Member
Hey Rick,
Thanks for all the info. I took the back of the freezer apart and thawed out all the ice but still couldn't figure out why it wasn't draining. So I took off the back plate (around the compressor) and found the drip area and removed the rubber nipple. That nipple was causing the problem because it would not open by itself. So hopefully all is well and I can be called the hero by my wife, but you truly saved the day. (Where do I send the check?) Thanks man, keep up the good work, and making great recommendations!

om53

Hello!
RE: Whirlpool fridge model GC5SHEXNB00
There's water dripping from the back left. Fairly steady at about one drip every 30 seconds or a minute or so. There isn't any water accumulated in the bottom of the fridge and no built-up ice in the bottom of the freezer. There's a drain pan with a hole in the middle in the back of the freezer and there isn't any accumulated ice in it. I opened the lower back and there's what appears to be a drain pan and it's not full. Any ideas? Thanks a ton!

slowlane37

Premium Member
Whirlpool -side GX2FHDXVQ03 drips from right front. Read many articles youtubes. Heres jist - best fix is expose freeer coil, wrap BARE COPPER wire around black tube defrost element and extend wire thru drain. Defrost cycle heats tube up to defrost coil, copper wire will conduct heat to drain to prevent ice blockage. Also, buy $8 freezer temp gage and ensure freezer not unnecessarily cold which is thought to cause condensate to freeze to pan prior to draining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.