FIXED GI5FSAXVY01 Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator leaking water on floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowlane37

Premium Member
Off topica - where tcan I buy good quality washer feet to prevent scratches to hardwood floor durung off balance spin cycles?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dmp

Premium Member
I have the same Whirlpool freezer door leaking problem. My Model # is GB2FHDXWS04

Could someone supply me with a diagram to fix the drain?

Thanks. Dave

dmp

Premium Member
The other thing I don't understand about the solution of the drain plug is this: the water dripping from my freezer door is coming from the place where the skin of the refrigerator (stainless) wraps around the plastic of the freezer door. So the water is behind the stainless and drips out the corner of the door (I have watched it). How could a plugged drain even leak water into the front of the freezer door? (this model is a "freezer on the bottom" style.

Goog

Whirlpool Model # GX5FHDXVY07

I have the same freezer door leaking problem, and have determined that it is not the ice maker. What is it that I need to do to clear the clogged drain? Where do you access it... inside? or from the back?

Thank you.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
First unplug the machine. You'll need to remove the shelves and ice maker. Remove the evaporator cover (freezer section back wall) to access the the evaporator and drain. The evaporator sits in the evaporator drip pan and the drain hole is on the bottom center directly below the evaporator. Use a hair dryer to defrost the any ice over the hole. I use a turkey baster to flush very hot water through the drain.
002 Refrigerator Top Mount Evap Drain Dole.jpg

dmp

Premium Member
So you are saying access these parts from INSIDE the freezer compartment. I thought you meant through the louvered vent cover on the outside back. I will give this a try. But I still do not see how the water drain getting plugged causes water to come out of the front stainless skin of the freezer door.

rickgburton

Staff member
I thought you meant through the louvered vent cover on the outside back.
There is no louvered vent cover in back unless you mean the cover over the machine compartment.

But I still do not see how the water drain getting plugged causes water to come out of the front stainless skin of the freezer door.
Then I'll explain it to you. First, if the ice maker is not leaking then it's pretty much the only place it could come from. It has to do with the design of the freezer compartment (see diagram). When the drain freezes over the water from the defrost cycle continues to build and freeze until it has no where else to go but the freezer floor where it continues to build and freeze until it has no where else to go but out the door which is sealed so the water runs behind the door seal.
GX5FHD Freezer Compartment.jpg

dmp

Premium Member
Now I understand the path of the water. Thanks for your patience. Yes, I did mean the louvered vent on the outside back of the refrigerator, where you access the fan. I didn't even know the inside shell popped out. Incidentally, the plastic fan blades are about as cheap as you can get for a $1,000 appliance. Thanks for your help.

Dave

rickgburton

Staff member
I didn't even know the inside shell popped out.
It doesn't. It's foamed in and would be almost impossible to remove it and then try to reinstall it. I'm just using it as a reference. I haven't seen too many bad fan blades. Many condensor fan motors are DC and made smaller and lighter to cut back on noise and save energy.

jeepgod

Premium Member
Ok, I found this thread and I am having water come out of the left side of the ice maker when it fills with water to make ice. Not all the time, just when it fills to make more ice. And it's just a small amount. Still makes ice as it should.

It's a model GI7FVCXWY03, a 27 cuft French door. I took the ice maker out per your video and there is a lot of ice around the inside base, along with the ice cube tray. It is defrosting now, but is there some sort of drain that I should also look at?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm not sure if I'm following you correctly. If it's leaking from the ice maker, replace the ice maker. If it's leaking from somewhere else take a picture of what you're referring to and post it here.

Here's the ice maker:
Whirlpool W10122559 Icemaker - AppliancePartsPros.com

jeepgod

Premium Member
Yes it was leaking from the ice maker (as you look at the fridge with both doors open, water was coming from the left side and out of where the ice maker is held), and when I took it out, there was ice along the bottom, outside of the "maker" itself, along where the foam is and along the front, after you take the front panel off. I cleaned it up and put it back in and will see what happens. I was wondering if I was missing something, like a drain or what not. But from what I gather, there is just the ice maker on that big piece that comes out, the rest of it is just for cooling and electronics, so if it leaks again, I will assume the "ice maker" itself is leaking or could it be getting over filled with water?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
It's the ice maker itself. Even if it was getting over filled, the ice maker controls the fill time. If the water valve was the problem it would most likely have a slow leak into the ice maker but would freeze in the fill tube after a short amount of time and you wouldn't get any ice. At least you figured out how to get the ice maker out of there. Most people don't. Good job.

jeepgod

Premium Member
OK... it's still leaking water.. the first time it filled up to make ice after install, it leaked.

And that is what I was looking for, if the ice maker controlled the fill level or if it was something else. Guess I will be ordering the ice maker, thank you for confirming what I thought. And I didn't figure it out, I found that video of yours on facebook, knew it would come out, just wanted to not mess up my fridge.

Thank you for that and the quick response here!

Shawn Soper

Having same issue. Gold Model # GI6SARXXF01... Ice buildup in bottom of freezer, everything is frosted over. Appears that water is accumulating \ coming in from \ on the right side of freezer vent (would be just below the filter as you look at fridge) I suspect it may be from the water feed \ filter, although may need instructions \ schematics on process to clear drain \ vent area in back of freezer.

Thanks for the help, this forum gave me insight on where to start trouble shooting problem. Keep up the good work.

rickgburton

Staff member
Ice buildup in bottom of freezer, everything is frosted over.
Is the back wall of the freezer section covered with frost? If it is, you might have a defrost issue.
Frost Patterns.jpg

treyhoff

Premium Member
Leak, but can't see water on floor

Hi,

Hi, I have a Whirlpool GIOFSAXY010 french door with freezer below. I can't detect a leak or where it may be coming from, but our hardwood floors are in bad shape. We installed the refrigerator last November and didn't see any damage to the floors until March. The water line is secure and not leaking (checked 3 times.) We are still under warranty so I could have a tech come take a look. I'm puzzled because I can't actually see water leaking on the floor and there is no puddling. Maybe it's a very slow leak?...but then you'd think the water would evaporate before doing that much damage to the hardwood floors. I was thinking of shutting off the valve for a couple weeks, to see if the hardwood would dry out a bit. Any thoughts? Much appreciated. Trey

Status
Not open for further replies.